Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Daniel Widenfalk <Da...@iar.com> on 2009/08/27 13:11:39 UTC

Question re. mergeinfo property

Hi,

I have a question regarding the coding of svn:mergeinfo.

Our repository is laid out at follows:

/branches
/tags
/trunk
   /module-1
   /module-2

Now, at some time in the past someone performed a mergeinfo
aware merge in one of the modules which resulted in sub-tree
merge info:

/trunk
   /module-2
     {svn:mergeinfo=/branches/feature/module-2:10-20}

Now, every time we merge something to trunk we also get a
(valid and correct) change to the svn:mergeinfo property
of /trunk/module-2.

What I'm wondering is if it is possible to "lift" this mergeinfo
to the top (trunk) somehow. We can for the sake of simplicity
assume that all changes committed to the "feature" branch only
contains changes to module-2. I.e. is it possible to somehow
rewrite and elide (?) the mergeinfo to:

/branches
/tags
/trunk
   {svn:mergeinfo=/branches/feature:10-20,...}
   /module-1
   /module-2

Regards
/Daniel Widenfalk

Re: Question re. mergeinfo property

Posted by Tyler Roscoe <ty...@cryptio.net>.
On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 03:11:39PM +0200, Daniel Widenfalk wrote:
> What I'm wondering is if it is possible to "lift" this mergeinfo
> to the top (trunk) somehow. We can for the sake of simplicity
> assume that all changes committed to the "feature" branch only
> contains changes to module-2. I.e. is it possible to somehow
> rewrite and elide (?) the mergeinfo to:

You can try doing a --record-only merge of those revisions to your
trunk. However, in my experience[1], the elision doesn't work as
advertised, so I would make sure to do some test merges afterwards to
verify that svn is doing the right thing.

[1] http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2009-03/0285.shtml

tyler