Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bryan Coon <bc...@sequenom.com> on 2001/07/12 19:28:46 UTC

Registering a Servlet!?

Hi,

I have an application that I am trying to move to Tomcat from JServ.  In
JServ, this application worked fine.  Now however, after installing and
setting up Apache/Tomcat, it no longer works properly.

This is a complicated commercial app (which I didnt write) and I dont have
the source code...

The setup with jserv was originally with jre1.3, and in the lib/ext/ dir was
a jar file that contained the DoPlugin class from this app.  This class was
called from a servlet (BaseServlet) running in a JServ root dir.

After installing Tomcat, this jar is now used by BaseServlet running under
webapps/cluster/WEB-INF/classes/BaseServlet.class.  This thing gets
initialized when tomcat fires up.  (This part works).

Somehow though, after moving all the .jar files from jre1.3/lib/ext to
jdk1.3.1/jre/lib/ext (since Tomcat uses this jdk), my BaseServlet starts
fine, I can log in, but the command (which worked before) that uses DoPlugin
bombs out with the following error:

Plugin Change NOT Saved - Response:
BaseServlet Command Error.
BaseServlet was unable to process the request for the following reason:
No Servlet registered to handle this command:
com.somedomain.path.to.DoPlugin

I dont know (as a java newbie) if this is a java thing or some configuration
of the application itself, but I scoured ALL files associated with the app
and found nothing.  Not to mention if they hardcoded in which the path to
the jdk the app uses... well that sucks.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?  Or how to fix it even?

Thanks,
Bryan