Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by Jasha Joachimsthal <j....@onehippo.com> on 2011/11/22 15:15:11 UTC

json2.js

During development I notice that the cdn we get json2.js [1] from is
relatively slow. The json2.js is "public domain". If we add this to the
project, should we add it without adding an Apache license header to it?

[1] http://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/json2/20110223/json2.js

Jasha Joachimsthal

Europe - Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam - +31(0)20 522 4466
US - Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142 - +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)

www.onehippo.com

Re: json2.js

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 22 November 2011 14:15, Jasha Joachimsthal
<j....@onehippo.com> wrote:
> During development I notice that the cdn we get json2.js [1] from is
> relatively slow. The json2.js is "public domain". If we add this to the
> project, should we add it without adding an Apache license header to it?

No, we never add licence headers without permission. The code is not
licenced to us under the Apache Licence and we should not claim it is.

The issue of Public Domain is a complex one because many jurisdictions
to not recognise public domain.

Current legal-discuss opinion is that we should treat public domain as
a permissive BSD style licence with attribution. This is not yet
resolved, but I believe it is close enough for us. We just need to
ensure that opinion on the matter doesn't change in for future
releases (at least until it is resolved).

See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-75?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=13148033#comment-13148033

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)

Re: json2.js

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 22 Nov 2011, at 16:43, Jasha Joachimsthal wrote:

> @Scott: that's the Java library, not the Javascript library which says it's
> available as Public Domain

Ah OK. No, I wouldn't add a license header to it, but include the text already in the source:

  http://www.JSON.org/json2.js
    2011-10-19

    Public Domain.

    NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

    See http://www.JSON.org/js.html

    This code should be minified before deployment.
    See http://javascript.crockford.com/jsmin.html

    USE YOUR OWN COPY. IT IS EXTREMELY UNWISE TO LOAD CODE FROM SERVERS YOU DO
    NOT CONTROL.

I'd also include an entry in NOTICE.

Re: json2.js

Posted by Jasha Joachimsthal <j....@onehippo.com>.

Re: json2.js

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.

RE: json2.js

Posted by "Ciancetta, Jesse E." <jc...@mitre.org>.
<snip>

>Jesse added it for the user preferences, maybe he knows if there is an
>alternative. A minified alternative would even be better,

As Jasha mentioned I added it when I was working on implementing user preferences -- and the reason for it was so that we could use JSON.stringify in browsers that don't already have native support.  When I looked into this before I'd expected to find that jquery would do this for us (providing stringify/parse impls if the browser didn't already support them), but it doesn't -- I'm not sure why...

I think there were other CDN's that hosted the file but I believe this was the only one that I found that hosted it over SSL.

So I guess we have a few options:

(1) - Try to find an alternate/faster CDN with both HTTP/HTTPS

(2) - Minify it and bundle it with our code

(3) - Write our own impl of stringify

Re: json2.js

Posted by Jasha Joachimsthal <j....@onehippo.com>.

RE: json2.js