Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ken Pelletier <ke...@nika.com> on 2002/02/19 23:07:58 UTC

mod_proxy not dropping connections on client disconnect

I've set up mod_proxy to forward incoming connections to an internal
streaming server.

What I'm seeing is that the connection to the streaming server is not
dropping when the client closes the connection.

When I connect directly to the streaming server with the same client,
closing the connection (stopping the stream) from the client does drop
the connection.

When I connect through Apache and get forwarded with mod_proxy, the
connection outlives the client's close.

I'm running httpd 1.3.20 on Red Hat 7.2.

My mod_proxy directives are as follows:

ProxyPass /streams/ http://127.0.0.1:8000/
ProxyPassReverse /streams/ http://127.0.0.1:8000/

Any incoming connections bound for myhost.mydomain.com/streams/someurl
gets forwarded internally to http://127.0.0.1:8000/someurl

The streams play just fine, it's just the lingering connection between
the proxy and the internal streaming server that's the trouble after the
client disconnects.

I can see that the connections are in a TIME_WAIT state using netstat -a

Any thoughts as to how to avoid this?

- Ken

Re: mod_proxy not dropping connections on client disconnect

Posted by Ken Pelletier <ke...@nika.com>.
Apache 1.3.23 indeed does fix the problem of client disconnects not
causing proxy to drop its connection.  There was a note in the changelog
about it as well, so it wasn't some other side-effect of the upgrade.

Thanks!

- Ken

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.