Posted to dev@marmotta.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2013/02/19 15:09:10 UTC

FYI: Controlling the mailing lists

 > (not subscribed, CC please)

There are people/addresses a project may like to allow to send to a
project mailing list even though they aren't subscribed.

If it's a one-off, then a moderator can simply accept the email from the
bounce message.

But if it is going to occur again, any moderator of a list can subscribe
an address to the LIST-allow sublist which permits that address to send
email to the LIST.

e.g. send an email to

   dev-allow-subscribe-USER=HOST@marmotta.i.a.o

but the email needs to be sent from the moderators email address.

The "trick" is in sending from the right place.

My moderator email address is ...@apache.org and that is routed to a
gmail account.  I can't send these moderator control messages from gmail
as they do not come from the right place.  Instead, I ssh to people.a.o
and mailx from there.

(I've also done that for several of you for messages sent from your
non-registered email addresses.)

	Andy