Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/09 07:51:54 UTC

Graph numbers in stats pages need thousands separator

While looking at the graph in http://www.openoffice.org/stats/downloads.html
it was very difficult for me (besides small screen and poor eyesight) to
see if the numbers were 6 million 60 million or 600 million, because of the
tiny text and lots of zeros without separators for thousands and hundred
thousands.

ie 60,000,000 reads beter than 60000000

FC

act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
Revolucionario
- George Orwell

Re: Graph numbers in stats pages need thousands separator

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.

Done http://code.google.com/p/simile-widgets/issues/detail?id=499

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> We're using a 3rd party library for the charts.  I don't see the
> ability to control the number format, other than to enable or disable
> rounding to the nearest integer.  But maybe someone else sees more
> here:
>
> http://www.simile-widgets.org/timeplot/
>
> > ie 60,000,000 reads beter than 60000000
> >

> I agree.  Maybe another solution is to rescale the data, so we report
> in units of a million downloads.  So instead of 60000000 we have 60.0?

Thanks for the reply Rob.

Glad to know I'm not the only one seeing that. I will file a request for
enhancement for that 3rd party lib on

http://code.google.com/p/simile-widgets/issues/list

Let's wait... maybe the feature will be implemented sooner rather than
later.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 1:51 AM, Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> While looking at the graph in http://www.openoffice.org/stats/downloads.html
> it was very difficult for me (besides small screen and poor eyesight) to
> see if the numbers were 6 million 60 million or 600 million, because of the
> tiny text and lots of zeros without separators for thousands and hundred
> thousands.

We're using a 3rd party library for the charts.  I don't see the
ability to control the number format, other than to enable or disable
rounding to the nearest integer.  But maybe someone else sees more
here:

http://www.simile-widgets.org/timeplot/

> ie 60,000,000 reads beter than 60000000

I agree.  Maybe another solution is to rescale the data, so we report
in units of a million downloads.  So instead of 60000000 we have 60.0?

-Rob