Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/09 12:54:12 UTC

[DISCUSS][PROPOSAL] Move docs to .rst format and readthedocs

Hi,

There has been lots of discussion about docs over the last 3/4 months, in summary the issues are:

-Difficult to maintain and keep website up to date (issues with lang and issues with pdf formatting lately)
-Difficult to contribute to easily, docbook is fine but tedious to work on.
-Errors in the docs don't get properly fixed
-Mix of OS information
-Lack of content for certain features
-Docs release cycle. Docs have bugs that will never get fixed in that specific release (because we see it as code release)

To remedy some of those issues and work on a new release process specific to docs we moved the docs to its own repo:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack-docs.git

*I propose that we move away from docbook and use a more readable format: restructuredtext*

I have worked on a prototype that uses restructured text:
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html

This format makes it extremely easy to write docs. Existing docbook content could be converted to .rst using a tool like pandoc:
http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/

*In addition to changing the format I propose that we use readthedocs.org*

This will help with the release and build of the docs. readthedocs grabs the docs from a git repo, builds html, pdf and epub.
It can also maintain several releases. We can apply a specific -theme- to our docs.

See a prototype here:

http://cloudstack.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

*I propose that we move to this as early as 4.3 documentation*

Assuming this proposal passes, we would need to:

-re-architect the repo
-create the proper cnames to be in accordance with trademark guidelines
-we can decide what content to keep or not and convert what we keep.
-decide how we organize the content
-start accepting pull requests (noting that pages can be edited directly from github)
-make a first release of this new doc site at the same time than 4.3 release.

Thoughts, flames ?

-Sebastien

Re: [DISCUSS][PROPOSAL] Move docs to .rst format and readthedocs

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

> -re-architect the repo
> -create the proper cnames to be in accordance with trademark guidelines
> -we can decide what content to keep or not and convert what we keep.
> -decide how we organize the content
> -start accepting pull requests (noting that pages can be edited directly from github)
> -make a first release of this new doc site at the same time than 4.3 release.
>

> Thoughts, flames ?

So I was the one that picked Publican for CloudStack in the pre-ACS
days. I like publican, it generally makes sense to me, seems to work
well, and despite the fact that it's DocBook XML with specialized
tools for generating finished documentation, it does the job very
well.

That said, I see a few problems with publican; namely:

* DocBook XML is something folks have to learn before being able to
contribute (e.g. the barrier to participate is higher)
* The build/publish process is difficult at best. Currently I think
that only Joe Brockmeier and I know how to do so. (we are SPOFs)

I actually looked (at Joe's suggestion) for something else many months
ago; and there didn't seem anything that was close to competent for
generation of PDFs and EPUBs. I reluctantly tried RTD when Sebastien
showed it to me - and was literally blown away - formatting/syntax is
simpler, publishing is dead easy; and not dependent on an individual.

 I am +1 for this change; I think it makes life simpler for anyone who
wants to work on docs, and changes next to nothing for the folks who
only consume them.

--David

Re: [DISCUSS][PROPOSAL] Move docs to .rst format and readthedocs

Posted by ni...@orange.com.
+1 for .rst !

--
Nicolas Lamirault

Thank you.

Re: [DISCUSS][PROPOSAL] Move docs to .rst format and readthedocs

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
Nice.
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_markup_language and
see that it is quite similar to Markdown.

Posted by Frank Zhang <Fr...@citrix.com>.
+1.
And suggest using Sphinx with the plugin http://bronto.github.io/javasphinx/

Posted by Hugo Trippaers <hu...@trippaers.nl>.
Looks good to me.  +1

Posted by Sateesh Chodapuneedi <sa...@citrix.com>.
+1 for .rst.

Posted by Radhika Puthiyetath <ra...@citrix.com>.
Hi,

+ 0 because I have not yet got time to understand the tool.

I also have to understand what it takes to pick up the tool. I am not a developer to sightlessly say Yes. If developers are ready to contribute the doc for their features, I am perfectly fine!

If you are planning it for 4.3 docs,  I might not be able to help. I can develop content only in DocBook due to time constraints. If you are keen on rolling it out for 4.3, I would request the doc contributors to  convert them to RST format, or let developers contribute their feature docs in RST format.

Jessica T has moved out from CloudStack, and I am kind of a single-person army from Citrix side. Therefore, my contribution might be limited to ASFCS.

-Radhika

> I am +1 to make documentation easier but we just passed code freeze for 4.3 and I feel we need to do it after 4.3.

docs are not in the 4.3 code branch. it's different releases...

Re: [SUMMARY][DISCUSS][PROPOSAL] Move docs to .rst format and readthedocs

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
In IRC Sebastien was noting that the content was already becoming
quite large for a single 'site'/pdf/epub, and it soon gets
bewildering.

I am going to open up a few additional git repos and see if that
alleviates the issue.

--David

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Marty Sweet <ms...@gmail.com>.
+1, also a clearer Wiki to show how to contribute towards docs would be
good, including what repo to fetch - I assume this would be made easier
using Github Pull requests?

On the Wiki:
GIT Usage - with Examples
Conventional Markup (Linking to documentation can be daunting to some
users, causing them not to contribute - as with the case with Publican)

Marty

Posted by Francois Gaudreault <fg...@cloudops.com>.

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Geoff Higginbottom <ge...@shapeblue.com>.
+1 from me, anything to make updating Docs easier has to be a positive

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

[...]

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.