Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Yang <te...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/04 21:37:10 UTC

why do I have to use internal IP for EC2 nodes?

http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.1/initialize/cluster_init

says:

"

Note

In the - seeds list property, include the internal IP addresses of each
seed node."

why do I have to use internal IP?

on a EC2 node,

hostname resolution seems to directly give its internal IP:

$ host aws1devbic1.biqa.ctgrd.com
aws1devbic1.biqa.ctgrd.com is an alias for
ec2-50-17-3-229.compute-1.amazonaws.com.
ec2-50-17-3-229.compute-1.amazonaws.com has address 10.28.166.83

so using the public DNS or internal IP seems to be the same thing, or
something I'm missing ?

Thanks
Yang

Re: why do I have to use internal IP for EC2 nodes?

Posted by Robin Verlangen <ro...@us2.nl>.
@Yang: Sounds legit, as internal is not the same as external. Beware of the
fact that internal traffic is only free when it's in the same availability
zone. In the same region is charged with a small amount (~ $0.01).

With kind regards,

Robin Verlangen
*Software engineer*
*
*
W http://www.robinverlangen.nl
E robin@us2.nl

Disclaimer: The information contained in this message and attachments is
intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee and may be
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are reminded that
the information remains the property of the sender. You must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. If you have
received this message in error, please contact the sender immediately and
irrevocably delete this message and any copies.

Posted by Yang <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.