Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/01 02:43:44 UTC

Re: FlowFile Package Spec

Nick,

They aren't documented anywhere that I know of and were really only
there for compatibility to versions of NiFi previous to its open
sourcing.  They should probably be deprecated.

The streamV3 is the latest version and we should probably document
that.  Were you thinking of using that format to interact with flow
files outside of NiFi?  Our site-to-site client library would have
support for that built-in.

Thanks
Joe

Re: FlowFile Package Spec

Posted by Joe Gresock <jg...@gmail.com>.
The Tar v1 format is actually quite nice for debugging purposes, since you
can actually edit flow files in place on disk with VI, whereas the other
flow file types cannot be easily edited once on disk.  Our team has used
this to quickly tweak and resubmit erroneous flow files that we capture on
disk.

Not that it should not be deprecated, but I thought I'd bring it up since
it might be nice to capture this feature in some other way if it is
deprecated.

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 2:43 AM, Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nick,
>
> They aren't documented anywhere that I know of and were really only
> there for compatibility to versions of NiFi previous to its open
> sourcing.  They should probably be deprecated.
>
> The streamV3 is the latest version and we should probably document
> that.  Were you thinking of using that format to interact with flow
> files outside of NiFi?  Our site-to-site client library would have
> support for that built-in.
>
> Thanks
> Joe
>
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 5:42 PM, Nicholas Hughes
> <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Are the FlowFile "package" versions (stream v3, stream v2, TAR v1) used
> in
> > the MergeContent and UnpackContent processors documented somewhere? I
> > checked the Docs and Wiki (briefly) and didn't find anything. Could be my
> > search isn't worded properly. The TAR is pretty straightforward, but I'd
> > like to see something describing the composition of the stream formats.
> >
> > -Nick

whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do