Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Sujit Acharyya-Choudhury <S....@westminster.ac.uk> on 2008/05/29 12:52:57 UTC

Lot of unmarked spam

We are getting lot of unmarked spam.  The header is as follows:

From: Feed Blaster
To: xyz@oursite.ac.uk
Subject: Feed Blaster puts your ad right to the screens of millions in
15 Minutes !
Date: 26 May 2008 21:42:41 -0700

And the message contains:

More and more people are subscribing to feeds every
day and there are millions who are already subscribed.

Thus, your ad will reach a very broad range of potential customers with
each use of Feed Blaster!

Feed Blaster is the first & only submitter that can submit your
ads to thousands of feeds within a few minutes!

Post your ads where people read them!

- What if you could place your ad into all these feeds ?

Right, that would mean you would have millions of sites
linking to your ad - and millions of users reading your message within
minutes - and my idea actually works

For Full details please read the attached .html file
Usually two html files are attached.

Are we the only one who are seeing this kind of spam?  If not is there
any rule that can be applied to stop this kind of spam?

Sujit Choudhury
ISLS
University of Westminster

This e-mail and its attachments are intended for the above named only
and may be confidential. If they have come to you in error you must not
copy or show them to anyone, nor should you take any action based on
them, other than to notify the error by replying to the sender.

--
The University of Westminster is a charity and a company limited by
guarantee.  Registration number: 977818 England.  Registered Office:

Re: Lot of unmarked spam

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 29.05.08 15:39, Benny Pedersen wrote:
> envelope seams to come from gmail.com so spf can reject this spam since its
> not sent from gmail servers
>
> http://www.openspf.org/Why?s=mfrom&id=vjmgprograms@gmail.com&ip=161.74.14.113&r=westminster.ac.uk

which means you should turn on SPF control, and I recommend even DKIM and
other newtwork rules (razor, pyzor, uribl and DCC if you can)
Nothing is fool-proof to a talented fool.

RE: Lot of unmarked spam

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Thu, May 29, 2008 15:15, Sujit Acharyya-Choudhury wrote:
> As requested full header is as follows:
>

> Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
> From: Feed Blaster
> To: myname@westminster.ac.uk
> Subject: Feed Blaster puts your ad right to the screens of millions in 15
Minutes !
> Date: 26 May 2008 21:42:41 -0700

envelope seams to come from gmail.com so spf can reject this spam since its
not sent from gmail servers

http://www.openspf.org/Why?s=mfrom&id=vjmgprograms@gmail.com&ip=161.74.14.113&r=westminster.ac.uk

Benny Pedersen
Need more webspace ? http://www.servage.net/?coupon=cust37098

RE: Lot of unmarked spam

Posted by Sujit Acharyya-Choudhury <S....@westminster.ac.uk>.

From: Feed Blaster
To: myname@westminster.ac.uk
15 Minutes !
Date: 26 May 2008 21:42:41 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0012_DAA36BB7.FAA31CFA

Posted by ram <ra...@netcore.co.in>.

Re: Lot of unmarked spam

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Thu, May 29, 2008 21:52, Joseph Brennan wrote:

> Reject if the From field has no @ in it.  That knocked out the
> one (1) of these that we saw here yesterday.

the from was not envelope sender, but yes one could make a header rule for
this in spamassassin :-)

postfix cant see the From: in header test

Re: Lot of unmarked spam

Posted by Joseph Brennan <br...@columbia.edu>.
> We are getting lot of unmarked spam.  The header is as follows:
>
> From: Feed Blaster
> To: xyz@oursite.ac.uk
> Subject: Feed Blaster puts your ad right to the screens of millions in
> 15 Minutes !
> Date: 26 May 2008 21:42:41 -0700

Reject if the From field has no @ in it.  That knocked out the
one (1) of these that we saw here yesterday.

Joseph Brennan