Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Andreas Vogler <an...@me.com.INVALID> on 2021/03/16 05:57:33 UTC

PROFIBUS driver?

Hi,
Is it planned to implement a PROFIBUS driver?
Regards,
Andreas

Re: PROFIBUS driver?

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.
I don't know much of profibus (yet) and miss test hardware, but it seems
to rather have descending adoption, isn't it?

From what I recall its communication medium is compatible with EIA-485
and have typical serial bus characteristics. Do you happen to know
converters/hardware which can create an transient serial port?
In such case we could try to implement profibus frame from (OSI layer 2)
and application layer (OSI 7) covered, still delegating time sensitive
operations which require bus participation to the adapter.

Per say - the trouble is rally transport which does not tie us to the
hardware which change frames. Quite many industrial converters bring
their own SDK's which in most of the cases are DLLs available only for
certain systems or micro controllers.

Best,
Łukasz

AW: PROFIBUS driver?

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Andreas,

let me also jump into the discussion here.

We will probably not support ProfiBus in PLC4X.

In contrast to ProfiNet, which is ethernet-based, ProfiBus requires dedicated hardware for which dedicated drivers are needed.
This would mean that we would need to implement a transport layer for every supported hardware device.

Chris

Posted by Lukas Ott <ot...@gmail.com>.