Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2001/06/02 06:19:41 UTC

Re: Jakarta-tomcat and struts configuration

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Moore, Amy L wrote:

> I have some questions and was hoping someone might be able to assist me. I
> am trying to configure struts with jakarta-tomcat 3.2.1 on my local machine.
> My tomcat.bat file is configured to read all of the .jar files from one
> location, which I assume is standard. I was wondering if I could do the same
> with my .tld files. I am not sure it is good or bad practice to have all of
> your .tdl files in one central location... but my thought process for doing
> so would be so that I can have a repository for all tdl files vs. having
> them in each application's web-inf directory.
>
> If this makes sense to implement... what "reserved word" or "variable" in
> Jakarta if any do I use to set the path correctly? Or is this handled in the
> web.xml file for each application?

The mechanism for installing an application onto Tomcat is to place the
WAR file (such as struts-example.war) into the "webapps" directory of
Tomcat, and then restart it -- no other configuration is required.

When developing your own applications, it is important to understand the
requird directory structure, which is described in the Servlet
Specification that you can download from

  http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/download.html

You might also want to read the Application Developer's Guide that comes
with Tomcat for general instructions on setting up web apps.

> Any help is appreciated.

Craig