Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2002/09/12 23:08:47 UTC

docs for auth rewrite

If we are staying with the auth rewrite, I think we need to get some docs
for it right away.  There was already a posting on the users@httpd list
from someone who needed to run bleeding-edge cvs (for subversion) but
couldn't get auth to work.  The only thing I could tell him was to back up
to STRIKER_2_0_41_PRE2.

Because of all the changes in module names, this is going to be a rather
difficult thing to document cleanly.

It would speed up the work considerably if one of the people working on
the auth rewrite could write up a quick explanation of all the things that
have changed from the user perspective.  This could be a starting point
for documentation people to figure out what to do.

Joshua.

Re: docs for auth rewrite

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> I'd prefer to get it finalized and people using it somewhat before
> we start documenting it.  The code really needs to get tried out by
> the developers first as I'm not entirely sold on some of the
> directives yet.
>
> It's a chicken and egg problem, I know.  =(
>
> If I have time this weekend, I may take a pass at writing some docs,
> but no promises.  -- justin

I understand that, but it is difficult to use it when I have no idea how
it works.  (Sure, I can read the code, but I'm lazy and so are most
people.)  What I'm interested in now isn't a complete set of
documentation, but more of an executive summary from a user perspective.

Joshua.

Re: docs for auth rewrite

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Re: docs for auth rewrite

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.

Re: docs for auth rewrite

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 02:08:47PM -0700, Joshua Slive wrote:
> It would speed up the work considerably if one of the people working on
> the auth rewrite could write up a quick explanation of all the things that
> have changed from the user perspective.  This could be a starting point
> for documentation people to figure out what to do.

I would also like to see that list. It would be an ideal way to determine
what the actual changes were, then provide a focal point for *reducing*
those changes. (through constructive work, total hacks, or punting)

Justin?

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: docs for auth rewrite

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.
On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 02:08:47PM -0700, Joshua Slive wrote:

> If we are staying with the auth rewrite, I think we need to get some docs
> for it right away.  There was already a posting on the users@httpd list
> from someone who needed to run bleeding-edge cvs (for subversion) but
> couldn't get auth to work.  The only thing I could tell him was to back up
> to STRIKER_2_0_41_PRE2.

I tagged AGB_BEFORE_AAA_CHANGES just to make sure we had a symbolic
name for the last known point before the auth changes...

-aaron

Re: docs for auth rewrite

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

Re: docs for auth rewrite