Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com> on 2020/03/27 07:28:17 UTC

"Fork Me" on GitHub (was Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache ShardingSphere (incubating) as a TLP)

This is not the first time “Fork Me” came up, but I don’t think there’s been a clear consensus on the topic.

I think it’s an important topic, so I’m starting a new discussion.

It seems to me that the concern with using “Fork Me” is that it’s somehow promoting unofficial releases. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

To me, “Fork Me” is not suggesting that users should use unofficial releases, but rather “please fork the source code on GitHub, so you can easily contribute”.

I think that’s a very different message.

My personal opinion is that “Fork Me” should be allowed anywhere on a project site because it can help build add contributions which builds the community.

Thoughts?
Harbs

Re: "Fork Me" on GitHub (was Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache ShardingSphere (incubating) as a TLP)

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 8:57 PM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I also wonder if opinions might have changed in the 5 years since that
> discussion. In that time, GitHub has only become more ubiquitous and more
> adopted by many Apache projects.
>
> Probably more a discussion for the board or Infra (as they own ASF
> distribution policy) than the incubator if you want to get policy changed
> or clarified.

This isn't an infra issue. Infra is completely indifferent on the matter.
As a member of the brand committee, I don't think it's a brand issue
either.

--David

Re: "Fork Me" on GitHub (was [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache ShardingSphere (incubating) as a TLP)

Posted by Juan Pan <pa...@apache.org>.
Hi

Thanks for your `Congrats`. And best wished to our graduation. :)

 Juan Pan (Trista)

Senior DBA & PPMC of Apache ShardingSphere(Incubating)
E-mail: panjuan@apache.org

On 03/29/2020 17:42,Harbs<ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sure. I understand that. I have no issue with what happened with the graduating project. (hence the new thread) Congrats on that!!! :-)

I’ll leave this here for a couple of days to give folks a chance to respond. If folks think that this should continue on board@ then we can do that.

Cheers,
Harbs

On Mar 29, 2020, at 11:34 AM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

Hi,

I suggest you take this up with the board, as it is perhaps time to revisit it. The trademark email BTW was directly related to this graduation and the GitHub link, the project went further and removed company logos from another page as well.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
FWIW, this is the only thing I found on (private) press@ https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/439a22a02f6200a106e4d209f401d98f9223c72df08ba8ea1d07f7ba%401418715959%40%3Cpress.apache.org%3E <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/439a22a02f6200a106e4d209f401d98f9223c72df08ba8ea1d07f7ba@1418715959@%3Cpress.apache.org%3E>

As far as I can tell, the action item on this stalled and the whole topic was never completely resolved.

Thanks,
Harbs

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@gmail.com>.
I read the board@ thread and, unless I missed it, there was no edict from the board to not say “fork me on GitHub”.

Therefore it’s down to projects’ discretion how they promote themselves. (Consistent with branding policy etc.)

Unless and until the board speaks  I don’t think we need to tell projects (or polling) what to do.

Julian

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

> On Apr 8, 2020, at 12:42 AM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> HI,
>
>> I suggest:
>> a) Changing the language of such banners to "Pull Requests Welcome"
>> (because "forking" can be misunderstood and due to our fierce
>> corporate independence principle)
>> b) Asking our projects to add a "rel=nofollow" attribute on the link to GitHub
>> c) Asking our projects to make sure the README of their repositories
>> points to their .apache.org URL
>
> +1 all good suggestions.
>
>> I think this information belongs to
>> https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs
>
> And a good place to put it.

That page is from the Brand committee. I you want to make changes then you need to take it there.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Juan Pan <pa...@apache.org>.
Hi Bertrand,

That sounds a better way to promote the community aligning with Apache rules. Thanks.  :-)

Cheers,
Trista

 Juan Pan (Trista)

Senior DBA & PPMC of Apache ShardingSphere(Incubating)
E-mail: panjuan@apache.org

On 03/31/2020 16:20,Bertrand Delacretaz<bd...@codeconsult.ch> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 10:27 AM Harbs <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
...The compromise which seemed acceptable to most in that thread seems to be to remove “GitHub” from the link...

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 3:46 PM John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
...The problem is that "fork" means two different things, and that some
members seem to be interpreting fork in the sense of a project level fork...

Considering this and the Board discussion mentioned in this thread I
think changing the language would work, and also using a nofollow
attribute on the link to GitHub.

I suggest:
a) Changing the language of such banners to "Pull Requests Welcome"
(because "forking" can be misunderstood and due to our fierce
corporate independence principle)
b) Asking our projects to add a "rel=nofollow" attribute on the link to GitHub
c) Asking our projects to make sure the README of their repositories
points to their .apache.org URL

I think this information belongs to
https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs as that's where projects
find the ASF requirements for their websites - this one is not
strictly about branding but it's good to have all this info in one
place.

If we agree on this I suggest that we propose a patch for that page to
trademarks@

-Bertrand

Re: "Fork Me" on GitHub (was Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache ShardingSphere (incubating) as a TLP)

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
There's probably a designer who can make this into a feather or a
octofeather...

http://tholman.com/github-corners/

Martijn

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good to me.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
The problem is that "fork" means two different things, and that some
members seem to be interpreting fork in the sense of a project level fork -
meaning creating a new community out of an existing project.  Whereas the
fork on github is really about raising pull requests Paul is mentioning.

We should have no issue with projects having the "fork me on github"
anywhere since it doesn't mean they're encouraging creating a new project.

also my 0.02.

John

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

In this particular case it could be seen as a) advertising a commercial entity on an ASF’s project front page (using their marketing slogan) b) encouraging users (who may not understand the consequences) to use unreleased code rather than using the officially released downloads.

I think it fine, and I don’t think anyone would have an issues with, links to GitHub in other places or when context is given, on a projects "how to contribute" or "developer page" would be best place.

Thanks,
Justin