Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Iftach Ben-Yosef <ib...@outbrain.com> on 2020/07/09 05:06:29 UTC

compression on topic vs producer?

Hello,

Up until now we have configured compression on producer level. Since moving
to mm2, we are having some issues with producer level compression and mm2,
and are planning on trying out topic level compression for this case.

Are there any inherent differences to each method other than how/where they
are configured?

Thanks,
Iftach

--
The above terms reflect a potential business arrangement, are provided
solely as a basis for further discussion, and are not intended to be and do

This email and any
attachments hereto may be confidential or privileged.  If you received this
communication by mistake, please don't forward it to anyone else, please
erase all copies and attachments, and please let me know that it has gone
to the wrong person. Thanks.

Re: compression on topic vs producer?

Posted by Iftach Ben-Yosef <ib...@outbrain.com>.
Hi Nitin,

According to your suggestion I tried to set this up in our test env. We got
'test' as source and 'dev' as dest;
'*test->dev.producer.override.**compression.type=gzip*'

I output the logs from mm2 to a file. I still see the compression is set to
none.

grep compre /tmp/log
compression.type = none
compression.type = none
compression.type = none
compression.type = none
compression.type = none
compression.type = none
compression.type = none
compression.type = none
compression.type = none
compression.type = none
compression.type = none
compression.type = none
compression.type = none
compression.type = none
compression.type = none
compression.type = none
compression.type = none
compression.type = none
compression.type = none
compression.type = none
compression.type = none
compression.type = none

The closest I got to it working was with '*test.producer.compression.type =
gzip'* then the output from logs looked like this;

2020-07-08 02:10:53,040] WARN The configuration 'producer.compression.type'
was supplied but isn't a known config.
(org.apache.kafka.clients.admin.AdminClientConfig:355)
compression.type = none
[2020-07-08 02:10:53,059] WARN The configuration
'producer.compression.type' was supplied but isn't a known config.
(org.apache.kafka.clients.producer.ProducerConfig:355)
[2020-07-08 02:10:53,073] WARN The configuration
'producer.compression.type' was supplied but isn't a known config.
(org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.ConsumerConfig:355)
compression.type = none
compression.type = none
compression.type = gzip
compression.type = none
compression.type = gzip
compression.type = none
compression.type = none
compression.type = gzip
compression.type = gzip
compression.type = none

So it seemed like some workers were getting the gzip compression config and
some did not get the config. The topics on destination didn't seem to be
affected size wise though. Also the warning message started to appear.

Thanks,
Iftach

Posted by nitin agarwal <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Iftach Ben-Yosef <ib...@outbrain.com>.