Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2008/01/14 16:28:12 UTC

Struts 2.1.1 Release Planning

Is anyone else up to helping with the 2.1.1 release management? With
the anniversary of the first Struts 2.0 GA coming up in February, it
would be nice if we could squeeze out another tagged build.

-Ted.

Re: Struts 2.1.1 Release Planning

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
I'm starting a new project on Thursday that will be consuming all my
bandwidth for a few months, and I won't be able to help plan or create
the Struts 2.1.1 release. I should still be able to help test a new
distribution and assign a quality grade.

I'll be monitoring the lists, so if there are any questions regarding
the release process, just post them, and I'll do my best to respond
here.

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 14:50 +0000, Al Sutton wrote:
> Thanks for the pointer, but I've already created patches.
>
> I think Ted wants someone to help merge them in which is why I'm looking for
> some docs (that is unless Ted says "Sure... throw me some more patches" :)).
>
> Al.

I wouldn't mind helping merge patches, but I don't think I've earned
enough karma yet. Most of the patches I've submitted need a bit of
finesse before being applied. Don mentioned to me once that there is a
nifty code-review tool that can be added on to bamboo (IIRC). Would it
be workable to add some sort of intermediary step so that a patch can
get approved by some of the more experienced committers like Ted, Don or
Musachy and then someone else can apply the patch and run unit tests,
etc?

For instance, if someone takes a quick look at a patch and says - "well
that makes sense, if all the unit tests pass with that patch applied,
then we should use it." Then someone else with the time to do the work
could go ahead and take care of it.

The opposite of that example would also be helpful. So if someone looks
at it and suggests some revisions, such as a patch I posted that Don
gave me some tips on - "Add a unit test, and get X object through DI."
Like a "pass with revisions" score on a code review, it will give a
"worker bee" style committer some idea of how to push it forward.

-Wes

Re: Struts 2.1.1 Release Planning

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
Hey Ted,

I'll take a look at the showcase app right now. It's probably the
biggest, so hopefully that will help. I figure you'll take care of
mailreader ;)

I'll post back any issues I encounter (and their JIRA #s).

-Wes

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Wes!

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
Okay,

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Just whatever is on the issues list, James.

Posted by Mitchell James <jm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.
If I can get a build going I'll be able to spare some time :).

Posted by Chris Pratt <th...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 14, 2008 11:10 AM, Tom Schneider <sc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 for ditching JDK 1.4 on the Struts 2.1.x series.  Struts 2.0.x
> should be a reasonable transition for those still on JDK 1.4.
> Tom

Not that my vote counts, but I'd also go +1 for ditching 1.4.  I'd
also like to see lots more 1.5 support, (when you get a spare moment
=9^)
  (*Chris*)

Re: Struts 2.1.1 Release Planning

Posted by Tom Schneider <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2008/1/14, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>:
> I didn't mean to imply that we were ready t roll 2.1.1,

Whoops sorry! I thought exactly this!

Antonio

Re: Struts 2.1.1 Release Planning

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
I don't understand. Do you mean don't apply any patches for a few hours?

I didn't mean to imply that we were ready t roll 2.1.1, only that I'd
like to get ready over the next few weeks.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.