Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jens Andersen <ja...@it-practice.dk> on 2003/05/06 21:17:09 UTC

Dependencies - Compile time vs. Runtime

Hi All,

I'm currently developing a project which has some runtime dependencies
with differs from the compile time dependencies.

Currently (talking about Maven Beta 9) Maven has no way of showing if a
dependency is run- or compile time dependent (or am I missing
something??). So my question is - Wouldn't it be a nice feature if you
could specify if a dependency is runtime dependent or not? We could do
this by making an attribute to the dependency tag which specifies the
type of dependency and then only download the compile time dependencies
from the remote repository. Please look below for an example of what I'm
talking about:

<dependencies>
  <dependency type="compiletime">
    <id>junit</id>
    <version>3.8.1</version>
    <url>http://www.junit.org/</url>
  </dependency>
  <dependency type="compiletime">
    <id>commons-logging</id>
    <version>1.0.2</version>
    <url>http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging.html</url>
  </dependency>
  <dependency type="runtime">
    <id>log4j</id>
    <version>1.1.3</version>
    <url>http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/</url>
  </dependency>
<dependencies>

The list of dependencies (now talking about the generated website)
should then show if a dependency is runtime or compile time specific.
Any comments??

Best regards,

--
Jens Andersen <ja...@it-practice.dk>