Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Murali Reddy <Mu...@citrix.com> on 2012/05/17 16:58:53 UTC

basic zone for public clouds

I was working on bug CS-14862 [1] which made me wonder if a basic zone
with/without security group can be used to build a public clouds.
Obviously if basic zone deployment with true public IP's for guest IP
address, then an account gets access to the guest VM's, snapshots etc from
anywhere. It seems to me that one can not build a public cloud with zones
using private IP address range for guest IP's (SSVM and CPVM getting the
private address being the reason). Is it correct argument?

Clearly having EIP/ELB support in CloudStack enables to public cloud's
with basic zones using private address. While EIP does the NATing for
inbound traffic into the cloud instances, as there is source NAT service
what happens to the outbound traffic from cloud instances when there is no
EIP assigned to it?

[1] http://bugs.cloudstack.org/browse/CS-14862 EIP/ELB - SSVM and CPVM
should be given an ip address from the public ip address range.

RE: basic zone for public clouds

Posted by Kelven Yang <ke...@citrix.com>.

It is a correct argument with current basic zone configuration. To solve the problem described in CS-14862, a simple approach would be to give SSVM and CPVM EIPs and let them hand over their EIPs to their client.

Posted by Kelven Yang <ke...@citrix.com>.

This is what I preferred and suggested. When EIP is enabled, SSVM/CPVM just needs to hand out EIP backed public IPs to their clients, no other changes will be needed within existing infrastructure

Posted by Murali Reddy <Mu...@citrix.com>.
That makes sense. So both assigning a public IP directly to the SSVM/CPVM
and public IP backed by EIP are possible.

I could be wrong, but still think that this will be against the notion of
basic networking zone. Unlike advanced mode where all zone Vlan's need to
be trunked,in this case just for ensuring system VM's have public IP would
need public VLAN to be trunked on to all TOR switches.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Murali Reddy <Mu...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Kelven Yang <ke...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

On 5/17/12 7:58 AM, "Murali Reddy" <Mu...@citrix.com> wrote:

>I was working on bug CS-14862 [1] which made me wonder if a basic zone
>with/without security group can be used to build a public clouds.
[snip]
"Basic zone" or L3 isolation is the most scalable way to build public
clouds.

>Clearly having EIP/ELB support in CloudStack enables to public cloud's
>with basic zones using private address. While EIP does the NATing for
>inbound traffic into the cloud instances, as there is source NAT service
>what happens to the outbound traffic from cloud instances when there is no
>EIP assigned to it?
>
>[1] http://bugs.cloudstack.org/browse/CS-14862 EIP/ELB - SSVM and CPVM
>should be given an ip address from the public ip address range.

When EIP feature is enabled, all tenant instances automatically get a
public IP that is 1:1 NAT to their RFC1918 IP.
For the service VMs that provide edge services (CPVM and SSVM), we have to