Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Peter Marron <Pe...@trilliumsoftware.com> on 2012/11/23 09:56:17 UTC

Creating indexes

(Sorry previous incomplete message sent in error.)

Hi,

I'm trying to create indexes in Hive, and I've switched
to using CDH-4. The creation of the index is failing and
it's pretty obvious that the reducers are running out of
heap space. When I use the web interface for the
"Hadoop reduce task list" I can find this entry:

Error: Java heap space
Error: GC overhead limit exceeded
org.apache.hadoop.io.SecureIOUtils$AlreadyExistsException: EEXIST: File exists
        at org.apache.hadoop.io.SecureIOUtils.createForWrite(SecureIOUtils.java:178)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskLog.writeToIndexFile(TaskLog.java:303)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskLog.syncLogs(TaskLog.java:376)
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1332)
Caused by: EEXIST: File exists
        at org.apache.hadoop.io.nativeio.NativeIO.open(Native Method)
        at org.apache.hadoop.io.SecureIOUtils.createForWrite(SecureIOUtils.java:172)
        ... 7 more

Error: GC overhead limit exceeded

Also when the job is running I can look at the administration page and
I can see a line that says something like:

Cluster Summary (Heap Size is 52.12 MB/380.5 MB)

And it seems likely that 380Mb is not enough to run this job.
The thing is that I have tried to set the heap to a higher value.
I've searched in the configuration interface for "heap" and
set the values higher. This is what I see:

[cid:image001.png@01CDC958.6473AD20]

What am I doing wrong?

If this e-mail shouldn't be here and should only be on
a cloudera mailing list, please re-direct me.

Thanks in advance.

Peter Marron
Trillium Software UK Limited

Tel : +44 (0) 118 940 7609