Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2009/11/12 16:04:41 UTC

Release strategy and community WAS Re: OFBiz in Canada?

Hi Carsten,

On Nov 12, 2009, at 2:31 PM, Carsten Schinzer wrote:

> Well, regarding participation, we just had an excellent Talk about
> participating in open source - and guess what even more detailed: on ASF -
> projects here at W-JAX 2009 in Munich.
>
> It was especially of interest, since it drew a couple of examples what the
> motivation of people would be to participate. And you will not be surprised
> to see that a certain commercial interest is not unusual.
>
> However, the argument of "critical mass" being brought up above seems a
> little vague to me: What is actually the number of comitters / contributors
> required to switch into a good release plan?

Yes it is vague for sure, and it is based on a reality check: OFbiz's community is active, OFBiz is widely used, a lot of new features are freely contributed everyday but very few people or companies seem interested in contributing time to maintain a release plan.
This is why I said this.
We can probably try do something to better use the efforts of the ones willing to help maintain releases, ideas are welcome.

Kind regards,

Jacopo