Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Oleg Dulin <ol...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/04 20:34:49 UTC

1.1.11: system keyspace is filling up

I have a dual DC setup, 4 nodes, RF=4 in each.

The one that is used as primary has its system keyspace fill up with
200 gigs of data, majority of which is hints.

Why does this happen ?

How can I clean it up ?

Oleg Dulin
http://www.olegdulin.com

Re: 1.1.11: system keyspace is filling up

Posted by Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
> What happens if they are not being successfully delivered ? Will they eventually TTL-out ?
They have a TTL set to the gc_grace_seconds on the CF at the time of the write.

I’ve also seen hints build up in multi DC systems due to timeouts on the coordinator.  i.e. the remote nodes are up, co-ordinator starts the writes, remote nodes process the request (no dropped messages), but the response is lost. These are tracked as timeouts on the MessagingServiceMBean.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
New Zealand
@aaronmorton