Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Andrews, Wayne" <wa...@sap.com> on 2009/05/07 04:43:51 UTC

SSL Mysterious Self Signed Certificate

Hi

I have an issue whereby on a windows installation of Tomcat; I have a
mysterious seflt signed certificate displayed within the browser.
Despite the fact that I have created a new keystore and imported the
relevant root certs and SSL cert and then redirected server.xml to point
to the keystore

Any ideas?:
W.

RE: SSL Mysterious Self Signed Certificate

Posted by Ma...@McAfee.com.
Can you clarify on "mysterious self-signed certificate displayed within the browser"?  Also, into what did you import the "relevant root certs and SSL cert"?  The keystore?

W is right.  If your certificate is was not issued (signed) by a CA that the browser trusts, then the browser will not trust your certificate and will show a warning as a result.  If that is your issue, then in order to get that message to go away, you'll either need use a certificate issued by a trusted CA, or import your certificate information into the browser.

~Mark

Its my understanding that all Self-signed certs generate the creepy browser
messages.  Not sure though.  Were the imported root certs issued by a well
known CA?

Re: SSL Mysterious Self Signed Certificate - FIXED

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 8:03 AM, Andrews, Wayne <wa...@sap.com> wrote:

> In summary Tomcat requires a .keystore file under c:\document and
> settings\default user and as such the one there was not the one details
> within server.xml.

That would be terribly awkward for all of us running Tomcat successfully
on non-Windows platforms, eh?  :-)

> Q: Whats the point of referencing a specific keystore within server.xml
> if it does take notice of it?

Referencing a "specific keystore" most assuredly works just fine --
your configuration has an error somewhere.

RE: SSL Mysterious Self Signed Certificate - FIXED

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Andrews, Wayne [mailto:wayne.andrews@sap.com]
> Subject: RE: SSL Mysterious Self Signed Certificate - FIXED
>
> In summary Tomcat requires a .keystore file under c:\document and
> settings\default user and as such the one there was not the one details
> within server.xml.

That's simply not true; you can specify the location in the <Connector> element.  Post your server.xml so we can see what it looks like.  (Obfuscate any sensitive information, of course.)

 - Chuck

RE: SSL Mysterious Self Signed Certificate - FIXED

Posted by "Andrews, Wayne" <wa...@sap.com>.
Problem fixed!

In summary Tomcat requires a .keystore file under c:\document and
settings\default user and as such the one there was not the one details
within server.xml.

I changed the entries within this default keystore, restarted tomcat and
excellent problem resolved.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: SSL Mysterious Self Signed Certificate

Posted by "Andrews, Wayne" <wa...@sap.com>.
Hi

I created a new keystore, inported the root certificate from thawte,
then the signed cert.  The browser displays some self signed cert that
has expired.

Cheers

Posted by Jonathan Mast <jh...@gmail.com>.