Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com> on 2009/11/17 21:53:00 UTC

Qpid C++ 0.6 release and Visual Studio project files

Hi Andrew,

I believe someone (Carl?) said on list last week that you're working
on the 0.6 release process. There's an issue we need to
discuss/resolve regarding the C++ Visual Studio project/solution files
that are checked into the svn repository.

The checked-in files are out of date for sure since they haven't been
maintained once CMake started working. I'm planning to remove them
shortly (except for the ones in qpid/cpp/examples, which are not
Cmake-generated and will go into the installed kit).

There are some issues to be resolved for the 0.6 release:

- The Makefile.am files currently refer to the .vcproj, .sln files
because they're packaged in the source dist.
- The actual .vcproj, .sln files won't be in the kit any longer, and
we need to be sure the CMakeLists.txt files are in the kit.

QPID-2134 describes this issue as well.

Can you please let me know the status and plans for the 0.6 release
process? I'm going to remove the old, source-controlled vcproj/sln
files and their Makefile.am references today or tomorrow and replace
the Makefile.am refs to them with CMakeLists.txt references. As I have
no way to test the release process I'll rely on you to notify me if
something goes wrong.

-Steve

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

RE: Qpid C++ 0.6 release and Visual Studio project files

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Hi Andrew,

> On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 15:53 -0500, Steve Huston wrote:
> > Can you please let me know the status and plans for the 0.6
release
> > process?
>
> I'm very happy to have the checked in .vcproj/.sln files
> deleted before
> the release, I was also about to add the CMakeLists.txt files to the
> autoconf EXTRADIST target to make sure the files get
> distributed, but if you want to do this now go ahead.

If you're going to add CMakeLists.txt stuff, that's great - please go
ahead. I'll remove the vcproj/sln files tomorrow.

> >  I'm going to remove the old, source-controlled vcproj/sln
> > files and their Makefile.am references today or tomorrow and
replace
> > the Makefile.am refs to them with CMakeLists.txt
> references. As I have
> > no way to test the release process I'll rely on you to notify me
if
> > something goes wrong.
>
> I'll certainly fix up anything obviously broken, but you probably
can
> check out the release process in fact using a RHEL 5 box.
>
> Essentially the for c++ the release process is jsut the autoconf
make
> dist target.

Ok, I'll try that.

> I'm looking at getting the C++ cmake infrastructure more
> ready for this,
> but the cmake concepts are a bit different,
>
> On a slightly different tack do you think there is any overall
reason
> why the C# WCF build couldn't use cmake?

CMake doesn't support C# or the .csproj files needed. So to integrate
the WCF build, CMake needs some improvements.

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 15:53 -0500, Steve Huston wrote:
> Can you please let me know the status and plans for the 0.6 release
> process?

I'm very happy to have the checked in .vcproj/.sln files deleted before
the release, I was also about to add the CMakeLists.txt files to the
autoconf EXTRADIST target to make sure the files get distributed, but if
you want to do this now go ahead.

>  I'm going to remove the old, source-controlled vcproj/sln
> files and their Makefile.am references today or tomorrow and replace
> the Makefile.am refs to them with CMakeLists.txt references. As I have
> no way to test the release process I'll rely on you to notify me if
> something goes wrong.

I'll certainly fix up anything obviously broken, but you probably can
check out the release process in fact using a RHEL 5 box.

Essentially the for c++ the release process is jsut the autoconf make
dist target.

I'm looking at getting the C++ cmake infrastructure more ready for this,
but the cmake concepts are a bit different,

On a slightly different tack do you think there is any overall reason
why the C# WCF build couldn't use cmake?

Andrew

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org