Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Ryan LeCompte <le...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/08 15:55:50 UTC

Safe to upgrade to Hive 0.7.0?

Hey guys,

We would like to experiment with some of the features in the current trunk
(0.7) release. Do you think at this point it's nearing "production-ready" ?

Are there any metastore migration scripts or anything like that before
upgrading to 0.7 from 0.6?

Thanks,
Ryan

Re: Safe to upgrade to Hive 0.7.0?

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 7:27 PM, Gokul Pillai <go...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a Hadoop 0.20 cluster with Hive 0.6.
> I want to try out the ngrams functions in 0.7 (trunk) and so want to
> upgrade.
> What would you recommend. Can I have a Hive 0.7 install in a different
> location (for trial) and point it to the same cluster.
> If not, is there an upgrade utility?
> I am not concerned about existing tables. I just want to make sure I can run
> Hive 0.6 and Hive 0.7 side by side.
> Regards
> Gokul
>
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Ning Zhang <nz...@fb.com> wrote:
>> > These are datanucleus paramesters found in
>> > hive-default.xml/hive-site.xml. If you change them to the following the
>> > metastore schema won't be changed automatically (may be good for preventing
>> > accidents).
>> >

>> > <property>
>> >  <name>datanucleus.autoCreateSchema</name>
>> >  <value>false</value>
>> > </property>
>> >
>> > <property>
>> >  <name>datanucleus.fixedDatastore</name>
>> >  <value>true</value>
>> > </property>

I would not do it. The new version will attempt to update the
meta-store. I would just attempt to build n grams udf into a separate
JAR and load it up with create temporary function.

Re: Safe to upgrade to Hive 0.7.0?

Posted by Gokul Pillai <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.