Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jan Stevens <ja...@cmg.nl> on 2000/12/11 08:44:59 UTC

Tomcat Unix autostart

Hi,
I'm trying to start Tomcat whith rebooting a Unix machine.
Tomcat seems to start for a moment and then dissappears.
I have a startup script in /sbin/rc3.d
I'm using an Alpha1000 with Tru64 unix 4.0D
Who can help me.

Regards,
Jan Stevens
Software Developer
CMG Maastricht B.V. -Telecom Products
*	Adelbert van Scharnlaan 170A		*	043 - 6018185
	6224 JX Maastricht					*	043
- 6018169
*	mailto:Jan.Stevens@cmg.nl

Re: Tomcat Unix autostart

Posted by jdunn <jd...@augustmail.com>.
Jan, I'm using tomcat & apache on a Linux machine which uses a Unix SysV type
init .
Here's how I start it at boot time. Created a symlink in /etc/init.d called
'tomcat' that links
to the tomcat.sh script wherever you put the tomcat/bin directory.
Then in each rcX.d subdirectory (where X is a number 0 thru 6) I put
another symlink to the previous file tomcat in /etc/init.d  using the format
K   or  S,  then a two digit number then the name 'tomcat'
The K instructs the init process to kill and the S to start.
All links in these directories are started by the init process in
the ascending order depending on the two digit number.
tomcat must be started before your webserver -httpd or apache or
whatever.  The rc0.d & rc6.d subdirectorys must contain a Kill
command. I just guessed that you should Kill the webserver before
you Kill tomcat and it seems to work OK. Note that the K or S
must be upper case. There's more to get it running OK, but that's how
to get it started at boot time & killed at shutdown.