Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Eli Marmor <ma...@elmar.co.il> on 1999/01/04 12:38:46 UTC

[Fwd: mod_roaming]

(I and Vincent are not subscribed to this mailing list, so if you
want us to read your answers or comments, please CC us; Thanks!)

You probably saw the new mod_roaming (
http://www.xs4all.nl/~vincentp/software/mod_roaming.html ).
It implements the Netscape Roaming Access server. It looks cool, and
have many reasons to be included with the core distribtion (with a
default of "disabled" module):

1. It is small.
2. It is based on an open standard/spec (

http://help.netscape.com/products/client/communicator/manual_roaming2.html
).
3. It will be implemented by all Netscape browsers beginning by 4.5
   and later.
4. Its author (Vincent Partington <vi...@xs4all.nl>) just launched
   it, and although he put a GPL license for it, he still didn't get
   any code from contributers, so the license still can be changed.
   In the forwarded message, he told me that he was willing to change
   the license.
5. Such a feature is important for the future of network computing,
   so people can access the Net from various places (home computer,
   computer at office, network computer at airport, WebTV at hotel,
   etc.).

Since it doesn't waste memory (by setting its default as "disabled"),
and it doesn't waste too much disk space (because it is small), I
recommend to adopt it into the core distribution. I don't know if the
delay with 1.3.4 means that it can be merged already into it, but you
should at least consider it.

P.S. I don't know Vincent; I only think that it is a good idea to have
his module in the core distribution.

Eli Marmor
marmor@elmar.co.il
El-Mar Software Ltd.
Israel

Re: [Fwd: mod_roaming]

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@jrc.it>.

Eli Marmor wrote:

> (I and Vincent are not subscribed to this mailing list, so if you
> want us to read your answers or comments, please CC us; Thanks!)

Did you submit it to

	modules.apache.org

Which is where a lot of people go first to find a module.

Dw.