Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Chuyu Xiong <ch...@yahoo.com> on 2000/11/20 16:33:45 UTC

Pass objects between server and client

First, ask a small question. If I want to send an
object that has String[][] as field from client to
server and v.s., what should I do? I think simply use
http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding
and Bean Serializer is not working. So, we have to
break String[][] into array of structures. This is
annoying. Is there a way to do 2-dim, 3-dim array
directly?

Then, a more general qeustions. What is the generally
good way to pass objects between sever and client
in SOAP? I mean, what is the way that SOAP spec
authors think and recommend to do. I have not
seen such a recommendation yet. If you know, please
let me know. If indeed, there is no such
recommendation, I think they should work one out.

http://calendar.yahoo.com/

Re: Pass objects between server and client

Posted by "David C. Hicks" <dh...@machturtle.com>.
You can always write your own serializer to handle special cases where
BeanSerializer isn't a good fit.

--
David C. Hicks
Mach Turtle Technologies,  Inc. (www.machturtle.com)

Re: Pass objects between server and client

Posted by Ryo Neyama <ne...@trl.ibm.co.jp>.
Chuyu,

From: Chuyu Xiong <ch...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Pass objects between server and client
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 07:33:45 -0800 (PST)

> First, ask a small question. If I want to send an
> object that has String[][] as field from client to
> server and v.s., what should I do? I think simply use
> http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding
> and Bean Serializer is not working. So, we have to
> break String[][] into array of structures. This is
> annoying. Is there a way to do 2-dim, 3-dim array
> directly?

Right. I think Ben Serializer would not be appropriate for that
purpose.  Currently, there is no array serializer that supports
SOAP-ENC encoding style in Apache SOAP v2.

Maybe, XMI Serializer is one of the solution available now.

> Then, a more general qeustions. What is the generally
> good way to pass objects between sever and client
> in SOAP? I mean, what is the way that SOAP spec
> authors think and recommend to do. I have not
> seen such a recommendation yet. If you know, please
> let me know. If indeed, there is no such
> recommendation, I think they should work one out.

Please take a look at the SOAP spec [5.4.2 Arrays]. You will see how
arrays can be encoded to XML:
    http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP/#_Toc478383522

Regards,
    Ryo Neyama @ IBM Research, Tokyo Research Laboratory
    Internet Technology
    neyama@trl.ibm.co.jp

Re: Pass objects between server and client

Posted by Ryo Neyama <ne...@trl.ibm.co.jp>.
Chuyu,

From: Chuyu Xiong <ch...@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 07:33:45 -0800 (PST)