Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by "ir. ing. Jan Dockx" <ja...@mac.com> on 2005/08/16 01:16:50 UTC

tree2 saveState

I have a page with a tree2 with a total of ±20 (multiple nested -- yes
there are people doing that) items in it (7 at the top level) in a real
web application (thanks for the effort, MyFaces guys). Renders nicely.
The tree model is a bit complex though. Currently we are using the
nightly build d.d. aug. 4th, and saving state on the client (for
development reasons).

We have done an enormous effort to create a framework that largely
works with handlers in request scope, for obvious reasons. Request
takes mem, request processes, mem is purged.

Now this simple tree (with a complex model) results in a hidden
jsf_state_64 field in the HTML of 6.4MB (SIX POINT FOUR MEGABYTES).
BBEdit chokes on the line. We noticed that tree2 suddenly needs "some"
things to be Serializable.

Question:
1) Is this changed already in more recent builds?
2) If not, you can't be serious, can you? When is this going to be
changed back? Hopefully before the next release.

Now obviously we are going to switch to saving state on the server
before deployment, but still. We did very much work to avoid storing
large DataModels for dataTables in session scope. Are we to repeat this
effort, with major workarounds, for tree2?

We've seen some mails about an option here? If this got implemented,
can somebody please document it in a mail?
1) What is the name of the attribute, what are it's values?
2) What is the exact intention of it?
3) What does it do, what our the downsides of activating this?

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Jan Dockx

PeopleWare NV - Head Office
Cdt.Weynsstraat 85
B-2660 Hoboken
Tel: +32 3 448.33.38
Fax: +32 3 448.32.66

PeopleWare NV - Branch Office Geel
Kleinhoefstraat 5
B-2440 Geel
Tel: +32 14 57.00.90
Fax: +32 14 58.13.25

http://www.peopleware.be/
http://www.mobileware.be/

Re: Re: tree2 saveState

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
Issue has been fixed in SVN.

sean

On 8/18/05, mathias.werlitz@daimlerchrysler.com
<ma...@daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

> Done :)

Antwort: Re: tree2 saveState

Posted by ma...@daimlerchrysler.com.
Done :)

Re: tree2 saveState

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
> I have looked a the source and found out, that the model is saved with the
> component.
> Sean, is that really right? On the other hand the state of the components
> seems not to be saved between request.

No that doesn't sound right.  I'm coming back from vacation later
today so I will look into it.

> I created a patch that does not save the model ... give it a try.

I will.  Can you add a JIRA issue on this and add your patch (so I
don't lose it)?  I noticed you have another patch for me on the dev
list which I will also get to later today.

sean

Antwort: tree2 saveState

Posted by ma...@daimlerchrysler.com.
Can you give an example of how the tree looks like? How many nodes are
totally displayed?