Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Diane Griffith <df...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/17 06:19:16 UTC

trouble showing cluster scalability for read performance

We have been struggling proving out linear read performance with our
cassandra configuration, that it is horizontally scaling.  Wondering if
anyone has any suggestions for what minimal configuration and approach to
use to demonstrate this.

We were trying to go for a simple set up, so on the keyspace and/or column
families we went with the following settings thinking it was the minimal to
prove scaling:

replication_factor set to 1,
SimpleStrategy,
default consistency level,
default compaction strategy (size tiered),
but compacted down to 1 sstable per cf on each node (versus using leveled
compaction for read performance)

*Read Performance Results:*
1 client thread - 2 nodes > 1 node was seen but we couldn't show increased
performance adding more nodes i.e 4 nodes ! > 2 nodes
2 client threads - 2 nodes > 1 node still was true but again we couldn't
show increased performance adding more nodes i.e. 4 nodes ! > 2 nodes
10 client threads - this time 2 nodes < 1 node on performance numbers.  2
nodes suffered from larger reduce throughput than 1 node was showing.

Where are we going wrong?

How have others shown horizontal scaling for reads?

Thanks,
Diane

Re: trouble showing cluster scalability for read performance

Posted by Timo Ahokas <ti...@gmail.com>.
Hi Diane,

Sounds a bit like the client might be the limiting factor in your test -
not the server. Especially if you're using one single threaded client, you
might not be loading the backend in any significant way. Have you done any
vertical scaling tests (identical client, bigger server)? if the client is
indeed the limiting factor, then adding server capacity probably doesn't
gain you much. What sort of CPU/IO load do you have on the client/server
during your tests?

I might be barking up the wrong tree (we haven't done any load tests yet on
Cassandra), but when we load tested our clustered app, we used 3-10 client
machines (with multithreaded clients) against 3 app server nodes.

I would definitely first try to add more client load (multiple
clients/multithreading and/or client machines) and once you're actually
hitting the server properly, then add more server nodes.

Best regards,
Timo

Posted by Diane Griffith <df...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

>   It sounds as if you are actually testing “vertical scalability” (load
> on a single node) rather than Cassandra’s sweet spot of “horizontal
> scalability” (add more nodes to handle higher load.) Maybe you could
> clarify your intentions and specific use case.
>
> Also, it sounds like you are trying to focus on large queries, but
> Cassandra’s sweet spot is lots of smaller queries. With larger queries you
> can end up measuring things like the capabilities of your hardware, cpu
> cores, memory, I/O bandwidth, network latency, JVM configuration, etc.
> rather than measuring Cassandra per se. So, again, maybe you could clarify
> your intended use case.
>
> It might be that you need to add more “vertical scale” (bigger box, more
> cores, more memory, beefier I/O and networking) to handle large queries, or
> maybe simple, Cassandra-style “horizontal scaling” (adding nodes) will be
> sufficient. Sure, you can tune Cassandra for single-node performance, but
> that seems lot a lot of extra work, to me, compared to adding more cheap
> nodes.
>
> -- Jack Krupansky

  a.. compacting each node to 1 table did not seem to help as running 10 client threads on exploded sstables and 2 nodes was 2x better than the last 2 node 10 client test but still decreased performance from 1 to 2 threads query against compacted tables

  b.. I would see upwards to 10 read requests pending at times while 8 to 10 were processing when I did nodetool tpstats.

  c.. having key cache on or disabled did not seem to impact things noticeably with our current configuration

.

[...]

    2 client threads - 2 nodes > 1 node still was true but again we couldn't show

Posted by Diane Griffith <df...@gmail.com>.
Duncan,

Posted by Duncan Sands <du...@gmail.com>.
Hi Diane,