Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com> on 2001/08/16 09:52:19 UTC

TC4 SSL HOWTO

Okay, I finally got around to writing that SSL HOWTO I kept promising. It's
attached.

Yeah, yeah, it's a plain old text file. I can't be bothered with XHTML or
DocBooks at 2:00am =)

Seriously, though, the doc format stuff is still kind of up in the air AFAIK,
and I wasn't sure how or where (or if) this would make sense in the tree, so
let me know if you want it in a certain format and I'll see what I can do.

As always, feel free to read it, rip it apart, suggest corrections, anything. I
went with this basic approach:

Section 1: Quickstart (the wham-bam summary for experts)

Section 2: Fluffy stuff (A brief tour of "What is SSL," "SSL and Tomcat", "Tips
on Running SSL", etc.)

Section 3: Detailed install/config steps

Section 4: Troubleshooting (all common mistakes/exceptions and their remedies)

If you think it's too much, let me know.

Also, I'll make the minor changes necessary and fire off a TC 3.3 version in
the morning.

Love to the family,

- Christopher

Re: TC4 SSL HOWTO

Posted by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com>.
Oops ... one other thing. If someone decides to commit this as-is, please
add '(passwords: "changeit")' to Step 3 of the QUICKSTART section.

- Christopher

Re: TC4 SSL HOWTO

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Christopher Cain wrote:

> Okay, I finally got around to writing that SSL HOWTO I kept promising. It's
> attached.

Cool!

> Yeah, yeah, it's a plain old text file. I can't be bothered with XHTML or
> DocBooks at 2:00am =)

That's OK ... the content is the important part, not the formatting :-)

> Seriously, though, the doc format stuff is still kind of up in the air AFAIK,
> and I wasn't sure how or where (or if) this would make sense in the tree, so
> let me know if you want it in a certain format and I'll see what I can do.

I'll go ahead and XML-ize it in the tomcat-docs style I've been using.  I
haven't heard any feedback (other than that the stupid XML parsers on
Windows won't do includes of relative paths correctly, which I need to
figure out a workaround for), so I'm going on the "lazy
consensus" assumption until someone gripes about that approach and
suggests something different/better.

> As always, feel free to read it, rip it apart, suggest corrections, anything. I
> went with this basic approach:
>
> Section 1: Quickstart (the wham-bam summary for experts)
>
> Section 2: Fluffy stuff (A brief tour of "What is SSL," "SSL and Tomcat", "Tips
> on Running SSL", etc.)
>
> Section 3: Detailed install/config steps
>
> Section 4: Troubleshooting (all common mistakes/exceptions and their remedies)
>
> If you think it's too much, let me know.
>
> Also, I'll make the minor changes necessary and fire off a TC 3.3 version in
> the morning.
>
> Love to the family,
>
> - Christopher

Craig