Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Christopher R. Maden" <cr...@maden.org> on 2008/03/22 01:59:18 UTC

FOP, Type 1 fonts, and .pfm files

Thanks to Vincent for the earlier answer about page-breaking and tables;
I am looking forward to trying 0.95 when it’s available.

On a completely different project, I am having trouble (still with 0.94)
with PostScript Type 1 fonts.

I have the complete set of New Caledonia Type 1 fonts, originally
installed on a Macintosh.  I have .pfb and .afm files for each font.
However, FOP complains:

Mar 21, 2008 4:32:44 PM org.apache.fop.fonts.autodetect.FontInfoFinder
find
SEVERE: Unable to load font file:
file:/home/crism/src/atmom/./new-caledonia/NewCaledonia.pfb. Reason:
Cannot load font: failed to create Source for font
file /home/crism/src/atmom/./new-caledonia/newcaledonia.pfm

The long-term question: Why does FOP care about PFMs when AFMs are
available?  PFMs contain less information and are usually only found on
Windows machines.

Short-term question: Does anyone know of a better AFM-to-PFM convertor
than the 14-year-old afm2pfm that’s still floating around?  It dumps
core on my Linux box and does not produce helpful results.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Chris

[Just in case anyone cares: Yes, I purchased the set of New Caledonia
from Linotype, which included a license to install the fonts on up to
five computers and one printer. (-:  Unfortunately, the install key is
long since lost, and wouldn’t have let me install on Linux anyway.]
“Metonymy and synecdoche don’t do the fighting and dying, the
 soldiers and the townspeople do.” —John Crowley, _Endless Things_
GnuPG Fingerprint: C6E4 E2A9 C9F8 71AC 9724 CAA3 19F8 6677 0077 C319

Re: FOP, Type 1 fonts, and .pfm files

Posted by "Christopher R. Maden" <cr...@maden.org>.
On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 09:07 +0100, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> One more reason to look forward to 0.95: see below.

Spectacular.  Thanks for the good news, Jeremias.  My bated breath — can
you smell it from there? (-:

~Chris

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 22.03.2008 01:59:18 Christopher R. Maden wrote:
> Thanks to Vincent for the earlier answer about page-breaking and tables;
> I am looking forward to trying 0.95 when it’s available.

One more reason to look forward to 0.95: see below.

> On a completely different project, I am having trouble (still with 0.94)
> with PostScript Type 1 fonts.
>
> I have the complete set of New Caledonia Type 1 fonts, originally
> installed on a Macintosh.  I have .pfb and .afm files for each font.
> However, FOP complains:
>
> Mar 21, 2008 4:32:44 PM org.apache.fop.fonts.autodetect.FontInfoFinder
> find
> SEVERE: Unable to load font file:
> file:/home/crism/src/atmom/./new-caledonia/NewCaledonia.pfb. Reason:
> Cannot load font: failed to create Source for font
> file /home/crism/src/atmom/./new-caledonia/newcaledonia.pfm
>
> The long-term question: Why does FOP care about PFMs when AFMs are
> available?  PFMs contain less information and are usually only found on
> Windows machines.

Because noone built an AFM parser until recently. ;-)

> Short-term question: Does anyone know of a better AFM-to-PFM convertor
> than the 14-year-old afm2pfm that’s still floating around?  It dumps
> core on my Linux box and does not produce helpful results.

No.

But hey, there's light at the end of the tunnel: FOP Trunk now contains
an AFM parser. It will be built into FOP 0.95. FOP 0.95beta will be
available within the next two days. Feedback welcome.

> Thanks in advance for any help,
> Chris
>
> [Just in case anyone cares: Yes, I purchased the set of New Caledonia
> from Linotype, which included a license to install the fonts on up to
> five computers and one printer. (-:  Unfortunately, the install key is
> long since lost, and wouldn’t have let me install on Linux anyway.]
> --
> Chris Maden, text nerd  <URL: http://crism.maden.org/ >
> “Metonymy and synecdoche don’t do the fighting and dying, the
>  soldiers and the townspeople do.” —John Crowley, _Endless Things_
> GnuPG Fingerprint: C6E4 E2A9 C9F8 71AC 9724 CAA3 19F8 6677 0077 C319

Jeremias Maerki