Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com> on 1996/02/11 18:29:26 UTC

Re: votes on 1.0.2

Yikes! This is long, but would appreciate comments on my comments.

> The config.in that Randy supplied didn't have mod_auth_anon and mod_alias_map
> listed or included, by the way.  Also, the Makefile didn't have listings
> for buff.c or md5c.c, so mod_proxy wouldn't compile (well, it compiled,
> but it had a ton of unresolved symbols).  So, that needs to be fixed.  On
> with the votes and comments.

I am not able to test the proxy stuff either. My appologies for missing
those other modules... It would be nice if the builder of this release
could add these.

100b.os2_port.patch 	+1
23a.mmap.patch		0
	It would be nice if this is runtime selectable. The one problem
	I see is that no external process can get access to this information.
	(or am I missing something?)

56.alias_userdir.patch 	+1
61a.preserve_redirect	+1
62a.escape_html.patch	+1
65b.new-make.tar.gz	-1
	This still seems to have some problems with dependencies.
	It would often decide do rebuild everything after making a
	change in one .c file. Painful decision on a Sparc 1+.

66.htaccess-cache	+1
68b.strftime.patch	+1
70c.LynxOS_port.patch	+1
72.mod_imap_overhaul	-1
72a.mod_imap_overhaul	-1
	After Brian's report of problems I took a closer look.
	There is some real bogosity in here that needs to be killed.
	Nathan Kurz has offered a nice solution that includes generation
	of text menus for imagemaps as well as a nicely written manual
	page. I had some problems with it for Referer: relative URLs
	that I will sort out and present it to the group for the next
	round.

	"Nothing to do with this monstrosity but burn it, kill it, bury
	it, and drive a stake through...."

73a.mod_actions.patch	+1
74.icons.patch		+1
75.icons.tar.gz		+1
76a.posix_wait4proces	+1
77.user_name.patch	+1
78.preserve_redirect	+1
82.setsockopt_next	+1
	This patch, coupled with 99 will need some work by whomever
	does the release if they both make it in.

83.timefmt.patch	-1
84b.timeout.patch	+1
85.lost_conn.patch	+1
86a.scoreboard_into_lo  +1
87.rlimit_warning.patch +1
88.cookie_pstrcat.patch +1
89.minSpare.patch	+1
90g.keepalive.patch	+1
91.config_dns.patch	+1
92.alias_htaccess.patch 0
	It seems that a user could do Bad Things (tm) to the server
	by setting a Redirect to the same URL. This patch does not
	check for this case and probably should?

93.opt_all_mv.patch	+1
	I think "All" should mean "All". As Brian points out, this
	does cause some different behaviour, but if I site is not
	currently using it, then they won't likely have problems
	by referencing filenames without extensions, etc.

94.httpd_monitor.patc   -1
	There seems to be some problems in safecat() if your stuff
	is not in the default directory. Is safecat() just to prevent
	overflow of buffer space?

95.mod_neg.useragent	+1
	I think this is the way to do this for reasons cited in my
	previous mail.

96.hpux.RLIMIT.patch	+1
97.proxy-02		+1
98.errorlog.patch       +1
	This vote is dependent on 101. being included since SunOS does
	not include strerror().

99.bind.patch		+1
	As noted above. There is some work needed to get this to live
	with 82.setsockopt_next

101.add_strerror_to_util +1
	Required for patch 98 on SunOS.

apache-msql-demo.1.0.	0
	As mentioned by Dirk, I don't think this needs to be in the
	distribution, but is a nice addition to contrib.

logresolve.c		0
mod_alias_map.c		+1
	With renaming suggested by Dirk.

mod_auth_anon.c		+1
mod_auth_db.c		+1
mod_auth_msql.c		+1
	Works.
mod_cern_meta.c		+1
mod_env.c		+1

Re: votes on 1.0.2

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>.
On Sun, 11 Feb 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Remember the note in my message - it's not clear to me that the changes
> need to be restricted only to NeXT.  I tried it on BSDI and it appeared
> to work.  Could others try this too on different platforms?

Works fine on HP-UX. BTW, I've figured out how to make 82 (with or without
the #ifdef NEXT) and 99 co-exist (thanks, Randy). Assuming this is done,
change my -1 of 99 to a +1.

--/ Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us> /--------/ Lefler on IRC

Re: votes on 1.0.2

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
On Sun, 11 Feb 1996, Alexei Kosut wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Feb 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:
> > 82.setsockopt_next	+1
> > 	This patch, coupled with 99 will need some work by whomever
> > 	does the release if they both make it in.
>
> Mrph. Anyone know exactly what needs to be done? If someone will show me
> a modified version of 82 or 99 that lets them both patch together, I'll
> change my -1 of 99 to a +1.

Remember the note in my message - it's not clear to me that the changes
need to be restricted only to NeXT.  I tried it on BSDI and it appeared
to work.  Could others try this too on different platforms?

> > 92.alias_htaccess.patch 0
> > 	It seems that a user could do Bad Things (tm) to the server
> > 	by setting a Redirect to the same URL. This patch does not
> > 	check for this case and probably should?
>
> Maybe. It's an external redirect, not an internal one, so presumably the
> user will get fed up at some point waiting. Besides, they could do the
> same exact thing with an asis file or a CGI script.

Right, "give them enough rope..." :)

I think someone more comfortable with complexity or number theory could
show why it would be impossible to "catch" any case of infinite referral,
unless the client somehow was able to commuicate to the server the
referral iteration it was on...

	Brian

Re: votes on 1.0.2

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>.
On Sun, 11 Feb 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:

> I am not able to test the proxy stuff either. My appologies for missing
> those other modules... It would be nice if the builder of this release
> could add these.

*nod* Assuming they pass.

> 82.setsockopt_next	+1
> 	This patch, coupled with 99 will need some work by whomever
> 	does the release if they both make it in.

Mrph. Anyone know exactly what needs to be done? If someone will show me
a modified version of 82 or 99 that lets them both patch together, I'll
change my -1 of 99 to a +1.

> 92.alias_htaccess.patch 0
> 	It seems that a user could do Bad Things (tm) to the server
> 	by setting a Redirect to the same URL. This patch does not
> 	check for this case and probably should?

Maybe. It's an external redirect, not an internal one, so presumably the
user will get fed up at some point waiting. Besides, they could do the
same exact thing with an asis file or a CGI script.

> 101.add_strerror_to_util +1
> 	Required for patch 98 on SunOS.

Okay. I'll +1 this, too.

--/ Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us> /--------/ Lefler on IRC