Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Mike Javorski <mj...@spokesoftware.com> on 2004/01/29 01:49:17 UTC

"not under version control" error

UPDATE: I have installed 0.37.0 and the problem remains (I even went
through all the different steps to try and work the problem out of the
system)

--------------------

Sorry for the cross-post but I am not sure if this is a low-level error
that the dev's would have more knowledge of.

I have a subversion repo for my company's website.. And up until today
everything was going great.. I am about to shoot the thing today
however.

Before I get into that though here is the specs:

- Gentoo Linux w/ 2.4.21 kernel
- SVN 0.35.1 (haven't been able to get 0.37.0 to compile yet)
- Apache 2.0.48 (using mod_svn for all repo access)
- DB 4.0.14 (same as apache is compiled against)

We have a repos with two directories. One for our "staging" server, and
one for the "active" server.

Well I tried doing a merge from the staging branch to the active branch
and for some reason it complains of on file
"images/something_something_something.gif" is not under version control.

Well that's odd to begin with. So I did svn cleanup's on both WC's,
re-checked both WC's out from scratch, reloaded the repo from a current
backup, reloaded the repo from the backup just before the file was added
and repeated all the commits between that and HEAD (only 10 or so) and
still I get the same error..

I am at my wits end here..

Anyone have any brilliant ideas that I may have overlooked?? Please :-D.

- Mike

Re: "not under version control" error

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
On Wednesday 28 January 2004 20:49, Mike Javorski wrote:
> UPDATE: I have installed 0.37.0 and the problem remains (I even went
> through all the different steps to try and work the problem out of the
> system)

Okay.  Is it always failing on the same file?  If so, what is the name of that
file (I'm assuming "images/something_something_something.gif" means you
didn't have that information handy previously).  How many files are you
merging?

Also, the transcript of what you did up to the point where it failed would be
handy.  It sounds like you made 10 commits to the repo without really doing
much else.  Is that correct?  Any addition of new files, removal of files,
renames, that sort of thing?

Finally, can you reduce the problem.  I mean can you narrow it the problem
down to something that I can re-create?  If so, then I can jump in and do
some debugging here to find out what's really going on.

-John

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 19:49, Mike Javorski wrote:

> We have a repos with two directories. One for our "staging" server, and
> one for the "active" server.
>
> Well I tried doing a merge from the staging branch to the active branch

You need to give a *lot* more detail if you want concrete help.  Like,
show us your commandline output, for example.

> and for some reason it complains of on file
> "images/something_something_something.gif" is not under version control.

So apparently you're telling 'svn merge' to apply a certain tree-delta
(patch) to a working copy, the delta in question wants to make a change
to a certain gif file.  But apparently that gif file isn't under version
control.  Why is that?  What's the story with that gif file?  Is it
really part of your working copy?  Is it supposed to be?  What does 'svn
status' say about that gif file?  None of us can guess without more
details.

Re: "not under version control" error

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"Mike Javorski" <mj...@spokesoftware.com> writes:
> We have a repos with two directories. One for our "staging" server, and
> one for the "active" server.
>
> Well I tried doing a merge from the staging branch to the active branch
> and for some reason it complains of on file
> "images/something_something_something.gif" is not under version control.

"tried doing a merge" could mean many things.  We need the exact
commands, at least some idea of the data they were operating on, and
the output of those commands.  (We might need more than that, but this
is a start anyway.)  See the section "How To Report A Bug" in the file
BUGS in the Subversion dist.

> Well that's odd to begin with. So I did svn cleanup's on both WC's,
> re-checked both WC's out from scratch, reloaded the repo from a current
> backup, reloaded the repo from the backup just before the file was added
> and repeated all the commits between that and HEAD (only 10 or so) and
> still I get the same error..

See above.

> I am at my wits end here..

We are only at our wits' beginning, so have hope :-).

Send more info, please.  I've removed dev@ from the CC list; until we
have reason to think there's a Subversion bug, let's keep it to
users@.

-Karl