Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com> on 2006/11/10 23:46:45 UTC

list renamed dev@mina

This list has been renamed dev@mina.apache.org.
--
Joe Schaefer

Re: how to use mvn command to build eclipse project?

Posted by Vinod Panicker <vi...@gmail.com>.
On 11/13/06, zhang kc <sp...@yahoo.com.cn> wrote:
> when use mvn eclipse:eclipse to bulid mina eclipse project ?
>   it report  [ERROR] BUILD ERROR;
>   who can help me?

Please paste the whole output of the maven command.

Regards,
Vinod.

Re: how to use mvn command to build eclipse project?

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
well, if you give us some more information, may be we can help :)

- which version of maven are you using ?
- which version of MINA are you using ?
- window$? linux?, OsX?
- Java version ? Flavor ?
- some more traces ?

Emmanuel

--
Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny

how to use mvn command to build eclipse project?

Re: list renamed dev@mina

Posted by peter royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Nov 12, 2006, at 6:20 PM, Trustin Lee wrote:
> OK, then let's show only dev list in our web site while retaining
> users list
> because we will need it someday when traffic goes higher.

that sounds like a reasonable compromise for now.

-pete

Re: list renamed dev@mina

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
On 11/13/06, peter royal <pr...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2006, at 6:24 PM, Jeff Schnitzer wrote:
> > Out of curiosity, why separate dev and users lists?  Since MINA is
> > a library, pretty much everyone using it is some sort of java
> > developer.  I can't imagine a discussion on the dev list that
> > wouldn't be important to a "user", and vice-versa.
>
> +1
>
> i say we only need one list for the time being.

OK, then let's show only dev list in our web site while retaining users list
because we will need it someday when traffic goes higher.

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6

Re: list renamed dev@mina

Posted by peter royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Nov 11, 2006, at 6:24 PM, Jeff Schnitzer wrote:
> Out of curiosity, why separate dev and users lists?  Since MINA is
> a library, pretty much everyone using it is some sort of java
> developer.  I can't imagine a discussion on the dev list that
> wouldn't be important to a "user", and vice-versa.

+1

i say we only need one list for the time being.

> BTW, I'd be happy to set up a SubEtha list for you... it combines
> several forum-like features with a mailing list.  Not only are the
> archives searchable and threaded, but you can post and reply from
> them.
>
> Here's a link to a test list, if you want to play with it:
>
> http://www.subethamail.org/se/list/test

neat! any way to integrate this with the list the ASF runs for us in
any way?

-pete

Re: list renamed dev@mina

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Jeff Schnitzer a écrit :

> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>> Now, just consider a simple user : having to read *all* the mails on
>> the dev
>> list is often more than boring (is it really the user's interest to
>> follow a
>> 30 mail long thread about "Version numbering" ?). Sudenly the separation
>> between user and dev lists make more sense.
>

> ...except that most users just search the lists to get their answers,
> and now they have to search two separate lists because either one is
> just as likely to contain the answer they are looking for.

If you ask a question in user list, don't expect to get an answer on dev
list ;)

> Or worse, they just search one and the lists get duplicate questions.

This is a Mailing List, not a FAQ. I don't think that a newbie who post
a question that have been answered 100 times in the ML is doing
something bad :
- if the question has been asked 100 times, then that means the FAQ is
not correct
- and in this case, either the doco or the example are not perfect :)

> Really it doesn't much matter to me, so I'll shut up now :-)

No problem... I tried to answer your question with my understanding, and
I don't think we have had an argument so far ;)

> Jeff

Emmanuel

Re: list renamed dev@mina

Posted by Jeff Schnitzer <je...@infohazard.org>.
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Now, just consider a simple user : having to read *all* the mails on
> the dev
> list is often more than boring (is it really the user's interest to
> follow a
> 30 mail long thread about "Version numbering" ?). Sudenly the separation
> between user and dev lists make more sense.

...except that most users just search the lists to get their answers,
and now they have to search two separate lists because either one is
just as likely to contain the answer they are looking for.  Or worse,

Re: list renamed dev@mina

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 11/12/06, Jeff Schnitzer <je...@infohazard.org> wrote:

> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> > I guess that users list is for "How do I do that with mina" questions
> > while
> > dev list is for "Why does mina implement that this way?" questions.
>
> I guess what I'm trying to say is that for java developers looking at
> library code, those questions are often the same.

More or less. Let's say that it's a question of common sense. If a user
think that he has found something that he feels is a bug, or a problem in
the API, or a simple question regarding the logic of the API, then dev list
is the best choice. If you are one of the committer of the project, then dev
list is also the place where you discuss about project related subjects.

If you are a newbie, then you often have question related on simple usage
(you have something which does not work, and you ask for some other user's
experience). That's what the user mailing list is bet suited to.

Now, just consider a simple user : having to read *all* the mails on the dev
list is often more than boring (is it really the user's interest to follow a
30 mail long thread about "Version numbering" ?). Sudenly the separation
between user and dev lists make more sense.

2cts.

--
Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny

Re: list renamed dev@mina

Posted by Jeff Schnitzer <je...@infohazard.org>.
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> I guess that users list is for "How do I do that with mina" questions
> while
> dev list is for "Why does mina implement that this way?" questions.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that for java developers looking at
library code, those questions are often the same.  I'm probably pretty
typical for your users and all this means is that I'm going to have to
subscribe to two lists, even though I don't have any particular
intention to commit patches.

Besides, the age-old rule of usenet is that you split newsgroups only
after traffic on one list gets to be too much, no?

Jeff

Re: list renamed dev@mina

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: list renamed dev@mina

Re: list renamed dev@mina

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
On 11/11/06, Jeroen Brattinga <je...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Btw, what does this change for the subscribe/unsubscribe actions mentioned
> on http://mina.apache.org/mailing-lists.html ? I guess there are other
> mail
> addresses needed (for dev and user(s) )?

Yes.  The page should be updated, but we need to rename user@mina to
lists.

Oh, and what do you guys think of a support forum instead of a mailing list?
> For the dev a mailing list is pretty convenient, but I think a forum is
> easier for the users.

You are right, but Apache doesn't provide a forum software.  Nabble.com is
one option, but I'm not sure you can post a message to the list using Nabble
because of spam issue.  I'll test when our Nabble archive is set up.

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/

Re: list renamed dev@mina

Posted by Jeroen Brattinga <je...@gmail.com>.
Btw, what does this change for the subscribe/unsubscribe actions mentioned
on http://mina.apache.org/mailing-lists.html ? I guess there are other mail
addresses needed (for dev and user(s) )?

Oh, and what do you guys think of a support forum instead of a mailing list?
For the dev a mailing list is pretty convenient, but I think a forum is
easier for the users.

Just an idea.

Jeroen Brattinga

Re: list renamed dev@mina

Posted by Vinod Panicker <vi...@gmail.com>.
On 11/11/06, Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/11/06, Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com> wrote:
> >
> > This list has been renamed dev@mina.apache.org.
>

> Additionally, user@mina.apache.org has been created.  All mina users might
> members.

Wouldn't it be better to stick to the standard naming convention for a
user list - users@mina.apache.org instead of user@mina.apache.org?

Regards,
Vinod.

Re: list renamed dev@mina