Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/04 15:53:50 UTC

what tool will create noncql columnfamilies in cassandra 3a

Cassandra 2.0.4 cli is informing me that it will no longer exist in the
next major.

How will users adjust the meta data of non cql column families and other
cfs that do not fit into the cql model?

--
Sorry this was sent from mobile. Will do less grammar and spell check than
usual.

Re: what tool will create noncql columnfamilies in cassandra 3a

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
I agree having two tools is no good. I ended up discussing this in the IRC
channel for a bit yesterday for this column family.

   1. create column family BrowserStuff
   2.   with column_type = 'Standard'
   3.   and comparator = 'UTF8Type'
   4.   and default_validation_class = 'UTF8Type'
   5.   and key_validation_class = 'UTF8Type'
   6.   and read_repair_chance = 0.2
   7.   and dclocal_read_repair_chance = 0.0
   8.   and populate_io_cache_on_flush = false
   9.   and gc_grace = 259200
   10.   and min_compaction_threshold = 4
   11.   and max_compaction_threshold = 32
   12.   and replicate_on_write = false
   13.   and compaction_strategy =
   'org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.SizeTieredCompactionStrategy'
   14.   and caching = 'KEYS_ONLY'
   15.   and column_metadata = [
   16.     {column_name : 'st',
   17.     validation_class : UTF8Type},
   18.     {column_name : 'tld',
   19.     validation_class : IntegerType},
   20.     {column_name : 'lst',
   21.     validation_class : IntegerType},
   22.     {column_name : 'conn',
   23.     validation_class : IntegerType},
   24.     {column_name : 'ua',
   25.     validation_class : UTF8Type},
   26.     {column_name : 'dma',
   27.     validation_class : IntegerType},
   28.     {column_name : 'fst',
   29.     validation_class : IntegerType},
   30.     {column_name : 'zc',
   31.     validation_class : UTF8Type},
   32.     {column_name : 'co',
   33.     validation_class : UTF8Type},
   34.     {column_name : 'nc',
   35.     validation_class : IntegerType}]
   36.   and compression_options = {'chunk_length_kb' : '64',
   'sstable_compression' : 'org.apache.cassandra.io.compress.SnappyCompressor'
   };

AFAIK there is no way to create this EXACT column family definition from
CQL. CQL is missing a way to specify key_validation_class = 'UTF8Type'.
Asking users to create this column family from thrift is annoying. (I will
open a jira when I have time.)

Posted by Chris Burroughs <ch...@gmail.com>.
On 02/05/2014 04:57 AM, Sylvain Lebresne wrote:
>> >How will users adjust the meta data of non cql column families
> The rational for removing cassandra-cli is mainly that maintaining 2 fully
> featured command line interface is a waste of the project resources in the
> long
> run. It's just a tool using the thrift interface however and you'll still be
> able to adjust metadata through the thrift interface as before. As Patricia
> mentioned, there is even some existing interactive options like pycassaShell
> in the community.

It's also wasteful for the community to maintain multiple post 3.0 forks
for cassandra-cli so they can continue using Cassandra.  It would be
more efficient if they cool pool their resources in a central place,
like a code repo at Apache.

Re: what tool will create noncql columnfamilies in cassandra 3a

Posted by Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com>.

Posted by Patricia Gorla <pa...@thelastpickle.com>.