Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Matthew Buckett <ma...@it.ox.ac.uk> on 2016/01/26 14:11:56 UTC

Signal Handing

I was looking to see if it's possible to have CouchDB shutdown
gracefully in response to UNIX signals but it looks like this isn't
something that erlang natively supports:

http://erlang.2086793.n4.nabble.com/Signal-handling-TERM-INT-etc-td2107363.html

>From looking in the documentation I can see the standard way to
shutdown couchdb when it's running in the background is to use:

    couchdb -d

I'm running couchdb inside docker so was running couchdb in the
foreground (-i as well as ENV ERL_FLAGS=-noinput), this means that
`couchdb -d` doesn't work (it says it isn't running). However because
of running in interactive mode I can send the process a SIGSTOP and it
appears to exit gracefully (exit code 0).

Is this a sensible or acceptable thing todo and am I likely to hit
problems with it?

Thanks.

--
  Matthew Buckett, VLE Developer, IT Services, University of Oxford

Re: Signal Handing

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Feel free to kill -9 couchdb if you want. There is no special "graceful"
shutdown for couchdb and it doesn't matter given our crash-only architecture.

If SIGSTOP makes you feel better, feel free to cargo cult that as a
solution. Makes no difference ;)

-Joan