Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Scott Bussinger <sc...@opto-pps.com> on 2002/07/04 00:55:21 UTC

Website documention problem with page widths

As a newbie to the Cocoon world, I've been struggling to get up to speed. I
can certainly sympathize with some of the comments about Cocoon's
documentation issues as I'm struggling with them myself right now.

I do have one suggestion for whoever is responsible for maintaining the
xml.apache.org/cocoon websites:

Many of the pages have severe issues with page widths. For example, if you
go to http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/developing/sunspot.html, you'll find the
the pages are much wider than the browser screen width (same problem in both
IE and Netscape). It's _very_ hard to read these pages and you can't really
print them at all (half the text is missing off of the side of the page).
There are many of these pages scattered throughout the site.

This is sounds like a small thing, but this information isn't available
anywhere else and it's extremely hard to get it from the one place it is
available. I finally resorted to cutting and pasting the text into Word so I
could print it.

Also making these pages available as PDF files for easy printing would be
wonderful as well. I've read messages that seem to discuss a new
documentation method coming in the future and maybe that will solve the
problem, but simply fixing the webpages would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Website documention problem with page widths

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Steven Noels wrote:

>> If you are using a win 32 operating system with ie6.0 installed please
>> download and trial Kangax from
>>
>> http://www.kangax.com/client/kangax/downloads/setup.exe
>

> For some reason or another, the download of the .msi didn't work out
> with the setup.exe provided, so I downloaded the .msi file directly from
>  http://kangax.dyanet.com/client/kangax/downloads/kangax.msi
>
> Executing this Microsoft Installation package, it goes off to search my
> *entire* harddisk for 'installed applications', apparently looking for
> the MS SOAP toolkit? That's 30 Gigs of slow laptop harddisk space being
> scanned ATM. I'll report back when it's done :-|
>
> </Steven>

OK, after half an hour of harddisk scanning installation finally
succeeded (I left the 'CD-Key' entry blank since I didn't know what to
fill in there) and I ended up with some 'Kangax' icon in my Start menu.
Starting Kangax, I'm presented with some kind of login screen. The
application itself seems to be build as a MS IE-only HTA app - not
exactly a problem for me, but there's plenty of Linux & Mac OSX users in
the Cocoon community.

A screenshot is attached for the curious amongst you.

Since I don't know what credentials to fill out in the login screen,
that basically concludes my evaluation of Kangax :-(

Sorry Dean, while your potential donation seems interesting (at least
I'm curious to find out what it's all about), you'll have to do some
extra packaging before I'll be convinced of its usefulness.

HTH,

</Steven>

Re: Website documention problem with page widths

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

Posted by Evan Scott <ev...@pacbell.net>.
Houston, it appears we have achieved synergy.

Posted by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org>.