Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Dan Compton <gt...@mail.gatech.edu> on 2004/08/01 19:32:24 UTC

Batik Bug for displaying SVG when ALWAYS_DYNAMIC

I'm running Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther). I have Apple's Java 1.4.2_03. I'm
using Batik 1.5.1. I have a G4 iBook if that matters.  The problem is
pretty simple and all of you already have a test case.

If I have a static SVG file (I created it with sodipodi) and display it
using the JSVGCanvas, it works fine. The code is similar to the example
you have under Java Scripting that uses the JSVGCanvas to display
"doc.svg".

If I make a slight modification to your JSVGCanvas example that
displays "doc.svg" to display my SVG file, and I run that code, it will
not display the SVG file... UNLESS I make the window smaller. Making
the window bigger doesn't do anything. But if I make the window smaller
then it will display it. Now, if I try using my code with the
setDocumentState to ALWAYS_DYNAMIC, I achieve the same behavior. Unless
I make the window smaller, it won't display the image to the screen. I
can still click and receive events, though.

I noticed other strange behavior. If I resize the window larger than
the size of the SVG document, then the SVG image disappears. If I
reszie back to at least the size of the document, it comes back.

My hack right now is to resize the window after I get the rendering
completed message.

I'd trying to find SVG solutions to use in a piece of software I am
writing. Batik looks great, but having run into these bugs is a small
damper. Also, what's the state of increasing the performance? That's my
biggest reserve to using any SVG solution right now.

Dan

Re: Batik Bug for displaying SVG when ALWAYS_DYNAMIC

Posted by George Armhold <ar...@cs.rutgers.edu>.
Dan Compton wrote:

 > I'm running Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther).
 >
 > If I make a slight modification to your JSVGCanvas example that
 > displays "doc.svg" to display my SVG file, and I run that code, it
 > will not display the SVG file... UNLESS I make the window
 > smaller. Making the window bigger doesn't do anything. But if I make
 > the window smaller then it will display it. Now, if I try using my
 > code with the setDocumentState to ALWAYS_DYNAMIC, I achieve the same
 > behavior. Unless I make the window smaller, it won't display the
 > image to the screen. I can still click and receive events, though.

I have similar problems with Batik on MacOS X.  I'm using the
JSVGCanvas and dynamic documents.  Most of the time the whole doc is
invisible.  If I update the document, I will see the small area that
changed.  It sort resembles the behavior I used to get when updating
the DOM outside of the UpdateManager thread.   I didn't want to bother
the list with this until I really had time to dig into it myself.  But
if others are reporting similar problems perhaps it's time.

 > Also, what's the state of increasing the performance?  That's my
 > biggest reserve to using any SVG solution right now.

It seems like there are still performance issues on MacOS X.  I know
that there was a big problem with how fonts are handled; I'm not sure
if that was fixed or not.  Again since Mac is not our primary
platform, I just haven't had time to look at it yet.

Re: Batik Bug for displaying SVG when ALWAYS_DYNAMIC

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Hi Dan,

    Can you please provide the exact code you are using?  And perhaps
the document in question.  If you don't want to send it to the list
you can create a bug report or mail directly.