Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Arun Ahuja <aa...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/20 16:55:46 UTC

java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out and java.io.IOException: Filesystem closed on Spark 1.0

Hi all,

I'm running a job that seems to continually fail with the following
exception:

        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:152)
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:122)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:235)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(BufferedInputStream.java:275)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:334)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTPHeader(HttpClient.java:687)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTP(HttpClient.java:633)
        at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:1323)
org.apache.spark.executor.Executor.org
<http://org.apache.spark.executor.executor.org/>
$apache$spark$executor$Executor$$updateDependencies(Executor.scala:330)

This is running spark-assembly-1.0.0-hadoop2.3.0 through yarn.

The only additional error I see is
14/06/20 10:44:15 WARN NewHadoopRDD: Exception in RecordReader.close()
net.sf.samtools.util.RuntimeIOException: java.io.IOException: Filesystem
closed

I had thought this issue of the file system closed was resolved in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-1676.  I've also attempted to
run under a single core to avoid this issue (which seems to help sometimes
as this failure is intermittent)

I saw a previous mail thread:
http://apache-spark-user-list.1001560.n3.nabble.com/Filesystem-closed-while-running-spark-job-td4596.html
a suggestion to disable caching?

Anyone seen this before or know a resolution.  As I mentioned this is
intermittent as sometimes the job runs to completion, or sometimes fails in
this way.

Thanks,
Arun