Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2011/12/26 15:49:48 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1201768 - /camel/trunk/platforms/karaf/features/src/main/resources/features.xml

The discussions around the entire xml-specs/jaxb/etc... stuff in the features
file has shown that this commit has caused a lot more problems than it's
actually solving.   Thus, I'm officially putting a -1 on this commit as it's
causing breakages in other components,  causes cast exceptions and other
issues at runtime, etc....

In the future when Karaf can provide better solutions for this issue, we can
can resolve this.  But at this point, we need to stay with the same solutions
that users are expecting and that have worked fine on the 2.8.x and earlier
versions of Camel.

In anycase, this needs to be reverted and CAMEL-4671 re-opened until a better
solution can be found.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: svn commit: r1201768 - /camel/trunk/platforms/karaf/features/src/main/resources/features.xml

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
I would like to see the changes from JB included. I run the test with Karaf
2.2.2, Karaf 2.2.4 and 2.2.5 and I could install all features without the
need to tune the jre.properties, the custom.properties or to install some
other features/bundles before. For the current Karaf (and SMX) versions I
don't see a better/easier way to fix the issues we hit. Did I overlooked
one?

For the future (mid term) I would like to see that Karaf installs by
default all bundles which exports the JRE system packages Karaf hide by
default. I think it's a good practice that Camel, CXF, ActiveMQ, ... can
expect that the JRE system packages are available by default - the ones
provided by the JRE or the (better ;-) ) ones provided by SMX, Geronimo, ...
If the Karaf guys have the same understanding and change this in one of the
next Karaf versions (2.2.6 or 3.0.0), I'm +1 to not install the XML spec
bundles in Camel starting from this time.

@JB: Could you discuss/track this on the Karaf site?

Best,
Christian

Re: svn commit: r1201768 - /camel/trunk/platforms/karaf/features/src/main/resources/features.xml

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Fully agree, it's what I did in my latest commits.

As I answered to Willem, I would prefer to have all features installable
out of the box and document the way we tune the jre.properties
(especially, starting from Karaf 2.2.5, we ship a jre.properties.cxf
commenting the packages).

I'm waiting for some more feedbacks, and I will re-apply my changes.

Regards
JB

On 12/26/2011 03:49 PM, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> The discussions around the entire xml-specs/jaxb/etc... stuff in the features
> file has shown that this commit has caused a lot more problems than it's
> actually solving.   Thus, I'm officially putting a -1 on this commit as it's
> causing breakages in other components,  causes cast exceptions and other
> issues at runtime, etc....
>
> In the future when Karaf can provide better solutions for this issue, we can
> can resolve this.  But at this point, we need to stay with the same solutions
> that users are expecting and that have worked fine on the 2.8.x and earlier
> versions of Camel.
>
> In anycase, this needs to be reverted and CAMEL-4671 re-opened until a better
> solution can be found.
>
> Dan
>

> On Monday, November 14, 2011 4:01:24 PM gnodet@apache.org wrote:
>> Author: gnodet
>> Date: Mon Nov 14 16:01:24 2011
>> New Revision: 1201768

>> Log:
>> [CAMEL-4671] The camel-core feature should not reference jaxb2 api / impl
>>
>> Modified:
>>      camel/trunk/platforms/karaf/features/src/main/resources/features.xml
>>
>> Modified:
>> camel/trunk/platforms/karaf/features/src/main/resources/features.xml URL:
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/camel/trunk/platforms/karaf/features/src/main/
>> resources/features.xml?rev=1201768&r1=1201767&r2=1201768&view=diff
>> === --- camel/trunk/platforms/karaf/features/src/main/resources/features.xml
>> (original) +++
>> camel/trunk/platforms/karaf/features/src/main/resources/features.xml Mon
>> Nov 14 16:01:24 2011 @@ -25,13 +25,9 @@
>>     </feature>
>>     <feature name='camel-core' version='${pom.version}' resolver='(obr)'
>> start-level='50'>  <feature version="[3,4)">spring</feature>
>> -<bundle
>> dependency="true">mvn:org.apache.servicemix.specs/org.apache.servicemix.spe
>> cs.activation-api-1.1/${servicemix-specs-version}</bundle>  -<bundle
>> dependency="true">mvn:org.apache.servicemix.specs/org.apache.servicemix.spe
>> cs.jaxb-api-2.2/${servicemix-specs-version}</bundle>  -<bundle
>> dependency="true">mvn:org.apache.servicemix.specs/org.apache.servicemix.spe
>> cs.stax-api-1.0/${servicemix-specs-version}</bundle>  -
>> <bundle>mvn:org.apache.servicemix.bundles/org.apache.servicemix.bundles.jax
>> b-impl/${jaxb-bundle-version}</bundle>
>> <bundle>mvn:org.apache.camel/camel-core/${pom.version}</bundle>
>> <bundle>mvn:org.apache.camel.karaf/camel-karaf-commands/${pom.version}</bun
>> dle>  -</feature>
>> +§</feature>
>>     <feature name='camel-spring' version='${pom.version}' resolver='(obr)'
>> start-level='50'>  <bundle
>> dependency="true">mvn:org.apache.geronimo.specs/geronimo-jta_1.1_spec/${ger

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: svn commit: r1201768 - /camel/trunk/platforms/karaf/features/src/main/resources/features.xml

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Monday, December 26, 2011 9:48:44 PM Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> Wouldn't it be easier to fix the imported version ranges of camel-soap
> instead ? If we think we should be able to deploy it on a plain JRE, we
> should import jaxb with no version range.
> I think that should be the case for most of the JRE provided packages.
>
> Also, I had done some experiments in deploying modified versions of
> the servicemix specs in the endorsed folder, and those specs are able
> to use the JRE implementation if none is provided, or implementations
> deployed as bundles.  I need to experimenent a bit more on that, but
> the results were very promising.  That would also mean that the
> exported package version is the default, so supporting 0.0 is a good
> thing imho.

If we are putting them in the endorsed folder, we know EXACTLY what the
version is on them, right?  Thus, we could then update the jre.properties to
put a proper version number on them, couldn't we?  I'd much rather see real
version numbers one the exported stuff than 0.0 if at all possible.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: svn commit: r1201768 - /camel/trunk/platforms/karaf/features/src/main/resources/features.xml

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Dan,

I tested camel-jibx, camel-hdfs, camel-atom, camel-rss, camel-jibx
features. It deploys without problem.

It looks good to me now and equivalent to that we have on Camel 2.8.x.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: svn commit: r1201768 - /camel/trunk/platforms/karaf/features/src/main/resources/features.xml

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: svn commit: r1201768 - /camel/trunk/platforms/karaf/features/src/main/resources/features.xml

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Re: svn commit: r1201768 - /camel/trunk/platforms/karaf/features/src/main/resources/features.xml

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: svn commit: r1201768 - /camel/trunk/platforms/karaf/features/src/main/resources/features.xml

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Guillaume,

> [...]

> dependency="true">mvn:org.apache.servicemix.specs/org.apache.servicemix.spe
>>> cs.jaxb-api-2.2/${servicemix-specs-version}</bundle>  -<bundle
>>>
> dependency="true">mvn:org.apache.servicemix.specs/org.apache.servicemix.spe
>>> cs.stax-api-1.0/${servicemix-specs-version}</bundle>  -
>>>
> <bundle>mvn:org.apache.servicemix.bundles/org.apache.servicemix.bundles.jax
>>> b-impl/${jaxb-bundle-version}</bundle>
>>> <bundle>mvn:org.apache.camel/camel-core/${pom.version}</bundle>
>>>
> <bundle>mvn:org.apache.camel.karaf/camel-karaf-commands/${pom.version}</bun
>>> dle>  -</feature>
>>> +§</feature>
>>>     <feature name='camel-spring' version='${pom.version}' resolver='(obr)'
>>> start-level='50'>  <bundle
>>>
> dependency="true">mvn:org.apache.geronimo.specs/geronimo-jta_1.1_spec/${ger
>>> onimo-jta-spec-version}</bundle>  <feature

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: svn commit: r1201768 - /camel/trunk/platforms/karaf/features/src/main/resources/features.xml

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

dependency="true">mvn:org.apache.servicemix.specs/org.apache.servicemix.spe
>> cs.jaxb-api-2.2/${servicemix-specs-version}</bundle> -    <bundle

dependency="true">mvn:org.apache.servicemix.specs/org.apache.servicemix.spe
>> cs.stax-api-1.0/${servicemix-specs-version}</bundle> -

<bundle>mvn:org.apache.servicemix.bundles/org.apache.servicemix.bundles.jax
>> b-impl/${jaxb-bundle-version}</bundle>
>> <bundle>mvn:org.apache.camel/camel-core/${pom.version}</bundle>

<bundle>mvn:org.apache.camel.karaf/camel-karaf-commands/${pom.version}</bun
>> dle> -  </feature>
>> +§  </feature>
>>    <feature name='camel-spring' version='${pom.version}' resolver='(obr)'
>> start-level='50'> <bundle

dependency="true">mvn:org.apache.geronimo.specs/geronimo-jta_1.1_spec/${ger
>> onimo-jta-spec-version}</bundle> <feature

Guillaume Nodet