Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU> on 1997/06/01 01:17:39 UTC

Re: [TEST] changes to bugdb.cgi

>    I took another whack at enhancing the bugdb.cgi script.  Please
>    consider test-driving it at <http://www.apache.org/~coar/bugdb.cgi>..
>
>     o Added radio-buttons to select whether to free-text search the PR
>       headers or the contents

Can you make them multi-choice instead of either-or?  I want to be
able to send  --text=aaaa --multitext=aaaa  in a single query.

>     o Added PR # to HTML title on when editing
>     o do \r to \n translation on edit replies
>     o changed mail message to be from "APBugs@Apache.Org (on behalf of xx)"
>       and have the subject line that GNATS likes.  Hopefully this means
>       that replies from the reporter will go to GNATS to be
>       reforwarded, not just to the person who last edited the PR

I don't think that is wise.  Aside from the bounces, we'll end up with
a whole lot of quoted replies.  How about adding a footer to every
message that says

   To append more information to this report, send a mail message with
   To: APBugs@Apache.Org
   Subject: <whatever the auto-detect uses for this PR>

We may want to do that in the gnats mailer, instead of the cgi.
Also, it sure would be nice if the edit form would allow me to append
to a report without changing the status.

>     o Changed "mumble-From-To: x-y" to "mumble-From->to: x->y" because
>       values that contain hyphens become hard to read

That may cause problems with the e-mail interface.  I think it would
be better just to leave it inscrutable.  It would also be nice to remove
that "customer has account ...." message that appears on some gnats replies.

....Roy

Re: [TEST] changes to bugdb.cgi

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Sat, 31 May 1997, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> >    I took another whack at enhancing the bugdb.cgi script.  Please
> >    consider test-driving it at <http://www.apache.org/~coar/bugdb.cgi>..
> >
> >     o Added radio-buttons to select whether to free-text search the PR
> >       headers or the contents
>
> Can you make them multi-choice instead of either-or?  I want to be
> able to send  --text=aaaa --multitext=aaaa  in a single query.

That will confuse people more than help I fear; such a query is an and,
not an or.  There is no way to currently search for all PRs with aaaa in a
text _or_ in a multitext.

> >     o Added PR # to HTML title on when editing
> >     o do \r to \n translation on edit replies
> >     o changed mail message to be from "APBugs@Apache.Org (on behalf of xx)"
> >       and have the subject line that GNATS likes.  Hopefully this means
> >       that replies from the reporter will go to GNATS to be
> >       reforwarded, not just to the person who last edited the PR
>
> I don't think that is wise.  Aside from the bounces, we'll end up with
> a whole lot of quoted replies.  How about adding a footer to every
> message that says

>    To append more information to this report, send a mail message with
>    To: APBugs@Apache.Org
>    Subject: <whatever the auto-detect uses for this PR>
>
> We may want to do that in the gnats mailer, instead of the cgi.

Yes.  This would also allow people to add to the PR.  We should also put a
bit in the submission form that says "if you have things like config
files, etc. to include that don't fit in the www form nicely, wait until
you get this mail and then do that".

> That may cause problems with the e-mail interface.  I think it would
> be better just to leave it inscrutable.  It would also be nice to remove
> that "customer has account ...." message that appears on some gnats replies.

Hmm?  Which one?  There used to be one that said something along the lines
of:

   The contract type is `' with a response time of 3 business hours.

but we got rid of that.