Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Badai Aqrandista <ba...@confluent.io> on 2020/07/07 14:57:04 UTC

Re: [VOTE] KIP-431: Support of printing additional ConsumerRecord fields in DefaultMessageFormatter

Hi all

After resurrecting the discussion thread [1] for KIP-431 and have not
received any further feedback for 2 weeks, I would like to resurrect
the voting thread [2] for KIP-431.

I have updated KIP-431 wiki page
(https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-431%3A+Support+of+printing+additional+ConsumerRecord+fields+in+DefaultMessageFormatter)
to address Ismael's comment on that thread [3].

Does anyone else have other comments or objections about this KIP?

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/raabf3268ed05931b8a048fce0d6cdf6a326aee4b0d89713d6e6998d6%40%3Cdev.kafka.apache.org%3E

[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/41fff34873184625370f9e76b8d9257f7a9e7892ab616afe64b4f67c%40%3Cdev.kafka.apache.org%3E

[3] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/99e9cbaad4a0a49b96db104de450c9f488d4b2b03a09b991bcbadbc7%40%3Cdev.kafka.apache.org%3E

Badai

Re: [VOTE] KIP-431: Support of printing additional ConsumerRecord fields in DefaultMessageFormatter

Posted by Badai Aqrandista <ba...@confluent.io>.
Hu

No, the property order does not matter. And yes, anything after "<--"
is my comment.

Do you have any suggestions on making it more readable, while keeping
it backward compatible? Can we discuss this in the DISCUSS thread?

Regards
Badai

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 8:05 PM Hu Xi <hu...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Badai,
>
> Thanks for the KIP. A quick question from me:
>
> "CreateTime:1592475472398|key1|3|0|h1=v1,h2=v2|value1    <-- offset 3, partition 0"
>
> Seems the partition follows the offset. My question is, does the property order matter? The partition is always printed following the offset no matter the order for `print.partition=true` and `print.offset=true` is specified. How do users get aware of the number `3` means the offset instead of the partition?  I am assuming "<-- offset 3, partition 0" is your comment not the printed words:-)  Am I correct?
>

> ________________________________

Badai

回复: [VOTE] KIP-431: Support of printing additional ConsumerRecord fields in DefaultMessageFormatter

Thanks for the vote. That is a good idea. Will start another KIP once
this one is done.

Regards
Badai

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 6:46 PM David Jacot <dj...@confluent.io> wrote:

> Hi Badai,
>
> Thanks for the KIP. I think that it is a nice improvement so I am +1
> (non-binding).
>
> Long term, I wonder if we could adopt a formatting system similar to
> kafkacat. It
> would reduce the number of properties that one has to set and also allow
> more
> powerful formatting. That could be done as a new formatter for instance.
>
> Example:
> kafkacat -b mybroker -t syslog -f 'Topic %t[%p], offset: %o, key: %k,
> payload: %S bytes: %s\n'
>
> Best,
> David
>
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 12:30 PM Manikumar <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > +1 (binding)
> >
> > Thanks for the KIP.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Manikumar
> >

> > On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 11:47 AM Matthias J. Sax <mj...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > +1 (binding)
> > >
> > > -Matthias

> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-431%3A+Support+of+printing+additional+ConsumerRecord+fields+in+DefaultMessageFormatter
> > > )

> > https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/raabf3268ed05931b8a048fce0d6cdf6a326aee4b0d89713d6e6998d6%40%3Cdev.kafka.apache.org%3E

> > https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/41fff34873184625370f9e76b8d9257f7a9e7892ab616afe64b4f67c%40%3Cdev.kafka.apache.org%3E

> > https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/99e9cbaad4a0a49b96db104de450c9f488d4b2b03a09b991bcbadbc7%40%3Cdev.kafka.apache.org%3E

Badai

Re: [VOTE] KIP-431: Support of printing additional ConsumerRecord fields in DefaultMessageFormatter

Posted by Badai Aqrandista <ba...@confluent.io>.
David

Thanks for the vote. That is a good idea. Will start another KIP once
this one is done.

Regards
Badai

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 6:46 PM David Jacot <dj...@confluent.io> wrote:

> Hi Badai,
>
> Thanks for the KIP. I think that it is a nice improvement so I am +1
> (non-binding).
>
> Long term, I wonder if we could adopt a formatting system similar to
> kafkacat. It
> would reduce the number of properties that one has to set and also allow
> more
> powerful formatting. That could be done as a new formatter for instance.
>
> Example:
> kafkacat -b mybroker -t syslog -f 'Topic %t[%p], offset: %o, key: %k,
> payload: %S bytes: %s\n'
>
> Best,
> David
>
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 12:30 PM Manikumar <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > +1 (binding)
> >
> > Thanks for the KIP.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Manikumar
> >

> > On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 11:47 AM Matthias J. Sax <mj...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > +1 (binding)
> > >
> > > -Matthias

> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-431%3A+Support+of+printing+additional+ConsumerRecord+fields+in+DefaultMessageFormatter
> > > )

> > https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/raabf3268ed05931b8a048fce0d6cdf6a326aee4b0d89713d6e6998d6%40%3Cdev.kafka.apache.org%3E

> > https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/41fff34873184625370f9e76b8d9257f7a9e7892ab616afe64b4f67c%40%3Cdev.kafka.apache.org%3E

> > https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/99e9cbaad4a0a49b96db104de450c9f488d4b2b03a09b991bcbadbc7%40%3Cdev.kafka.apache.org%3E

Badai

Re: [VOTE] KIP-431: Support of printing additional ConsumerRecord fields in DefaultMessageFormatter

Posted by David Jacot <dj...@confluent.io>.
Hi Badai,

Posted by Manikumar <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)