Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by "Robert ..." <rm...@aol.com> on 2018/08/31 22:58:31 UTC

Microsoft controlling open office

Hello,

Could you please tell me how to stop Microsoft office from tanking over my open office documents.

Every time I try to open my open office documents - Microsoft changes them to their format and won't allow me to make any changes unless I sign in with them.
 I don't want to sign up with them I am using your product.

Can you tell me how to have open office as my one and only office  program?

 I have windows 10.

Thank  You

 Robert

Re: Microsoft controlling open office

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Fri, 31 Aug 2018 18:58:31 -0400
"Robert ..." <rm...@aol.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Could you please tell me how to stop Microsoft office from tanking over my open office documents.
>
> Every time I try to open my open office documents - Microsoft changes them to their format and won't allow me to make any changes unless I sign in with them.
>  I don't want to sign up with them I am using your product.
>
> Can you tell me how to have open office as my one and only office  program?
>
>  I have windows 10.
>

> Thank  You
>
>  Robert

You need to set File Associations to tell Windows which program to use to open files.

I'm out of touch with modern versions of Windows, bu the traditional method of setting File associations is to right click on a file of the type you wish to associate, then from the popup choose "Open with" and select the file you wish to open that type. At the bottom of the window should be an "Always open with" link (words to that effect). Best to choose this to ensure that OpenOffice always opens the files.

I am told that these settings can also be changed by Settings > Control Panel > Default Programs > Set your default programs ..., and Settings > Control Panel > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program (in this case, OpenOffice, which may show as soffice.exe).

Note that MS Windows updates may silently reset these associations to point to their trial Office365; so you may have to do this after such updates.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>