Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> on 2006/03/06 00:48:11 UTC

search engine broker

Hi all,

I am working on a new plugin, a search engine broker (output). You can
see it in action on http://www.target-x.de/search.html and
http://www.target-x.de/search-forms.html.

BTW that is my site with a new theme I developed while testing the
dispatcher. :)

Here an extract from the contract description
"search-engines-main will output a select box or a page of installed
search engines. This search definitions are based on firefox search
plugins.

If you use firefox on your local system then you can find the installed
plugins in ~/.mozilla/firefox/{profile}/searchplugins.

Warning: firefox searchplugins are not well formed xml You *cannot* use
~/.mozilla/firefox/{profile}/searchplugins/*.src directly since they are
not valid xml-markup!!!"

Now I wonder whether I can redistribute this refactored search plugins?

E.g.
<?xml version="1.0"?>

<!--# Yahoo Search Plug-in for Mozilla
#
# Created by Robert Fernandes <ro...@bovilexics.com>, Matthew A.
McGuigan <webnugget.com>, Rafael Ebron <re...@meer.net>
# Last Edited May 31, 2002
# Last updated August 11, 2004
# converted as forrest search definition by thorsten@apache.org -->

<search
    version = "7.1"
   name="Yahoo"
   description="Yahoo Search"
   searchForm="http://www.yahoo.com/r/so"
   method="GET"
   action="http://search.yahoo.com/search"
   category="common"

<input name="p" type="text" />
<input name="ei" value="UTF-8"/>

</search>

wdyt?

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: search engine broker

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El lun, 06-03-2006 a las 08:49 +0100, Thorsten Scherler escribió:
> > > Here an extract from the contract description
> > > "search-engines-main will output a select box or a page of installed
> > > search engines. This search definitions are based on firefox search
> > > plugins.
> > >
> > > If you use firefox on your local system then you can find the installed
> > > plugins in ~/.mozilla/firefox/{profile}/searchplugins.
> > >
> > > Warning: firefox searchplugins are not well formed xml You *cannot* use
> > > ~/.mozilla/firefox/{profile}/searchplugins/*.src directly since they are
> > > not valid xml-markup!!!"
> > >
> > > Now I wonder whether I can redistribute this refactored search plugins?
> >
> > Is this "search plugin" format an open definition?
>
> What do you mean by open definition?
>
> > We could just add the attributes to the Forrest plugin
> > configuration files and not need to copy the Firefox
> > content.
>
> Well the definition are *based* on the firefox plugins. I extended them
> by a ctegory attribute and before you could use them you have to convert
> them.

Actually I started to extend them which can be seen on the google form
on http://www.target-x.de/search-forms.html. Further all the MARC
mailing list search engines I have created from scratch.

The definitions from the searchBroker plugins still work in firefox. :)
Would be nice to talk to the mozilla people and find a xml compatible
search definition format that we can share. :)

Actually I would hope there is something like an open definition for
search engines that would be great. ;) I will do some research.

> I ask because of the comment. Should I keep it?

Actually like said above I am the original author of the marc search
definition and I can first check in the plugin with those definitions
and we can discuss how to do it with the rest.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<search version="7.1"
   name="forrest-dev@marc"
   description="marc.theaimsgroup - DejaNews for mailing lists"
   method="GET"
   action="http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/"
   searchform="http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/"
   category="mailing list archive"

<input name="l" value="forrest-dev"/>
<input name="w" value="2"/>
<input name="r" value="1"/>
<input name="q" value="b"/>
<input name="s" type="text"/>

</search>

The basic idea is a disassembly of the search string
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&w=2&r=1&q=b&s=mySearchString

salu2

Re: search engine broker

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El lun, 06-03-2006 a las 10:42 +0100, Cyriaque Dupoirieux escribió:

> > Well the definition are *based* on the firefox plugins. I extended them
> > by a ctegory attribute and before you could use them you have to convert
> > them.
> >
> I think that firefox search plugins are just the search URL breakdown
> with the list of parameters, there is not confidentiality in this.
> I will be pleased to use your contract in my own site ! (if you share :-) )

:) I am looking forward for your enhancements. ;)

...and yes, you know me (and I have put it on my site) I am all for
sharing. ;

> (The category attribute is a nice idea...)

Yeah, I am now looking on way to limit the engines for certain sites but
even further then in categories. I keen that you (and others) can have a
look.

salu2

Re: search engine broker

Posted by Cyriaque Dupoirieux <Cy...@pcotech.fr>.

Re: search engine broker

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.

Re: search engine broker

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: search engine broker

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El mié, 08-03-2006 a las 14:59 +1100, David Crossley escribió:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
> > Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > >Ross Gardler escribi??:

> > >Not found any information on it but it seems an internal mozilla format
> > >and mozilla is ASF style license, right?
> >
> > I always thought so, but I have an inkling that it was listed as a
> > non-compatible license in the recent legal FAQ. I've not verified this
> > (possibly incorret) rcollection.
>
> No, MPL is not "ASF-style".
>
> That "FAQ" document is not yet public, though
> Forrest and other committers have had a preliminary
> look at it.
>
> It is coming to the legal-discuss mail list
> soon. ASF committers can join, others can
> read the public mail archives.
>
> I am not going to say anything to pre-empt
> that FAQ.
>
> Back to the search definitions ...
>
> Are those definitions actually licensed?

How can I find out?

> You will need to find out if you want to
> propose their direct inclusion in Forrest.

I do *NOT* propose their direct inclusion in Forrest!

original plugin definition:
cat leo.src
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------#
# Leo plugin by Kimfella
#
# Translate Eng <->German
#
#
#
# 2003/03/22 convert roy.erez's BabelFish to Leo   MK
#
# Known issues: doesn't work with multi-search.
#
# Leo.html included with zip. Contains legal stuff from Leo.org.  It
seems to say it is ok to use the   #
#        ARCHIVE (i.e. the database of german/english?) but not clear
about using the Leo search engine #
#        in this manner.  They DO provide a Sidebar Tab at
http://www.leo.org/dict/integration_en.html  #
#
#
# michael ->AT<- kimballpottery ->DOT<- com
#
# 2005/04/19 modified by Dirk Randhahn
#
# 2005/07/12 edited and cleaned up by Johannes Becker
#
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------#

<search version="7.1"
   name="Leo Eng<->Ger"
   description="Leo-Dictionary - Translate English to German or German
to English"
   method="GET"
   action="http://dict.leo.org/ende"
   searchform="http://dict.leo.org/ende"

<input name="search" user>

</search>

<BROWSER
   update="http://mycroft.mozdev.org/update.php/id0/leo.src"
   updateicon="http://mycroft.mozdev.org/update.php/id0/leo.png"
   updateCheckDays="7"

My definition:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<search
   name="Leo Eng&lt;->Ger"
   description="Leo-Dictionary - Translate English to German or German
to English"
   method="GET"
   action="http://dict.leo.org/ende"
   searchform="http://dict.leo.org/ende"
   category="dictionary"

<input name="search" type="text"/>
</search>

I am using ATM for advanced searching following:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<search
   name="Google"
   description="Google Search"
   method="GET"
   action="http://www.google.com/search"
   category="common"

<input name="q" type="text"/>
<inputnext name="start" factor="10"/>
<inputprev name="start" factor="10"/>

<advanced title="Input encoding">
  <input name="ie" value="ISO-8859-1" type="text"/>
</advanced>

<advanced title="Output encoding">
  <input name="oe" value="ISO-8859-1" type="text"/>
</advanced>

<advanced title="Dominios">
  <select name="as_dt">
    <option value="i" selected="selected">Solamente</option>
    <option value="e">No</option>
  </select>
  <input type="text" size="25" value="" name="as_sitesearch"
    title="producir resultados del dominio o sitio Web"/>
</advanced>
<advanced title="resultados">
  <select name="num">
  <option value="10" selected="selected">10 resultados</option>
  <option value="20">20 resultados</option>
  <option value="30">30 resultados</option>
  <option value="50">50 resultados</option>
  <option value="100">100 resultados</option>
</select>
</advanced>

</search>

You see that I am not using the exact same scheme like mozilla.

Anyway I still do not really see the need, but is everybody happy if we
rename <search/> to <form/>?

I cannot add the plugins without search definitions, that does not make
sense.

salu2

Re: search engine broker

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: search engine broker

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El mar, 07-03-2006 a las 21:06 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió:
>
>>Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>>>The problem is that most provider (like google) does not allow this.
>>
>>Even if you provide an iframe, with the full page returned by the search
>>engine?
>

> Ah, you mean instead of writing the history in a div to write it in an
> iframe?

It's not the history that is restricted by the search engines is it? I
mean displaying the results from the selected search in an IFrame,
perhaps this is in line with the engines terms. It may not be, but
perhaps worth a look.

Ross

Re: search engine broker

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@wyona.com>.
El mar, 07-03-2006 a las 21:06 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> >>I love it. Some feature requests:

> >>- provide the search results for the last search in the browser page (I
> >>block popups, maybe an iframe would be the simplest answer)
> >>

> > The problem is that most provider (like google) does not allow this.
>
> Even if you provide an iframe, with the full page returned by the search
> engine?

Ah, you mean instead of writing the history in a div to write it in an
iframe?

salu2
--
Thorsten Scherler
COO Spain

Re: search engine broker

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: search engine broker

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El mar, 07-03-2006 a las 09:18 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> >>Nice search plugin!
> >

> > :)
> >
> > How do you like the history list?
>
> I love it. Some feature requests:
>
> - persist the history between invocations

will implement it now

> - provide the search results for the last search in the browser page (I
> block popups, maybe an iframe would be the simplest answer)

The problem is that most provider (like google) does not allow this.

> - allow the setting of "preferred engines" and search them
> simultaneously, i.e. Forrest site, Forrest Dev Arhives, Forrest User
> Archives

jeje, yeah that is the next step. I am planing to write a simple form to
upload new definitions and limit the engines to a subset on structurer
base. The metasearch would be really nice. ;)

> I'm not about to implement any of these, but I would *love* to see them ;-)

;)

> (I can magine using this plugin so no doubt will contribute one day,
> just not right now).

I need to finish the current plugin and add it to the svn that you and
Cyriaque can play with it.

> >>With respect to reusing the search definition code.
> >>
> >>- What license is the definition schema released as?
> >

> > Not found any information on it but it seems an internal mozilla format
> > and mozilla is ASF style license, right?
>
> I always thought so, but I have an inkling that it was listed as a
> non-compatible license in the recent legal FAQ. I've not verified this
> (possibly incorret) rcollection.

Anyway, like Cyriaque, yourself and I have said it is dead simple and
the xml schema is actually developed by myself. We should be save to add
it to our rep.

> >>We need to consider
> >>reuse of the schema as well as the individual definitions.
> >

> > I would like to go one step further and try to start a discussion on
> > mozilla to use a xml valid format instead of the halfbaked xml like
> > format that they have right now.
> >
> > To re-use the existing mozilla *out-of-the-box" would be more then
> > awesome. :)
>
> If you ave the time for another list ;-)

lol

yeah that is the bummer. I reckon I am faster to write a mozilla
searchplugin (cleaner) generator. ;)

Thx for the feedback. :)

salu2

Re: search engine broker

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: search engine broker

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El lun, 06-03-2006 a las 10:13 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am working on a new plugin, a search engine broker (output). You can
> > see it in action on http://www.target-x.de/search.html and
> > http://www.target-x.de/search-forms.html.
> >
> > BTW that is my site with a new theme I developed while testing the
> > dispatcher. :)
>
> Nice search plugin!

:)

How do you like the history list?

I am using the list nearly always (in combination with tab browsing what
I need). ;)

> With respect to reusing the search definition code.
>
> - What license is the definition schema released as?

Not found any information on it but it seems an internal mozilla format
and mozilla is ASF style license, right?

> We need to consider
> reuse of the schema as well as the individual definitions.

I would like to go one step further and try to start a discussion on
mozilla to use a xml valid format instead of the halfbaked xml like
format that they have right now.

To re-use the existing mozilla *out-of-the-box" would be more then
awesome. :)

The current solution is alright but I would like to use them directly
without editing. ;)

> - Is it worth sending a mail to the original authors asking them to
> contribute a patch via JIRA? (you could provide them the code and just
> ask them to contribute it to cover the legal aspects of contribution)
>
> - Is it so much trouble t re-write them? As has been observed, they are
> only really a breakdown of the search strings.

Well like said, I re-wrote them all (more or less). At least I needed
valid xml.

To not use the existing mozilla searchplugins - Mycroft project provides
a collection of search plugins (6503 at the last count)
http://mycroft.mozdev.org/ seems kind of silly. ;-)

salu2

Re: search engine broker

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am working on a new plugin, a search engine broker (output). You can
> see it in action on http://www.target-x.de/search.html and
> http://www.target-x.de/search-forms.html.
>
> BTW that is my site with a new theme I developed while testing the
> dispatcher. :)

Nice search plugin!

With respect to reusing the search definition code.

- What license is the definition schema released as? We need to consider