Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by suplizio <su...@blarg.net> on 2005/07/08 19:37:38 UTC

Tomcat + Cocoon (as only a renderer)

Total newbie here. I've spent a great amount of time on the requisite
How-to's and tutorials but I am still, however, facing some
configuration issues that I could use help with. I have a large,
complex servlet-based app using Tomcat 4.1, j2sdk1.4.2_05 and I want to
use and Cocoon 2.1.7 to handle all the presentation layer rendering. In
managing this, I do not want to go through the Cocoon servlet, but
rather would like to continue to manage all session data through our
current master servlet.

So far, I've discovered that all webapps that use Cocoon must reside in
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/cocoon/<myapp>. Is there a way to keep my
current app at $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/<myapp>, serve it up as is but
only leverage Cocoons rendering capabilities? I hope that makes sense.

If someone please point me into a direction where I read about using
Cocoon without making my current application entirely a Cocoon app I'd
appreciate it.

Respect,

Re: Tomcat + Cocoon (as only a renderer)

Posted by Lars Huttar <la...@sil.org>.
suplizio wrote:

> Total newbie here. I've spent a great amount of time on the requisite
> How-to's and tutorials but I am still, however, facing some
> configuration issues that I could use help with. I have a large,
> complex servlet-based app using Tomcat 4.1, j2sdk1.4.2_05 and I want
> to use and Cocoon 2.1.7 to handle all the presentation layer
> rendering. In managing this, I do not want to go through the Cocoon
> servlet, but rather would like to continue to manage all session data
> through our current master servlet.
>
> So far, I've discovered that all webapps that use Cocoon must reside
> in $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/cocoon/. Is there a way to keep my current
> app at $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/, serve it up as is but only leverage
> Cocoons rendering capabilities? I hope that makes sense.
>
> If someone please point me into a direction where I read about using
> Cocoon without making my current application entirely a Cocoon app I'd
> appreciate it.
>
> Respect,

I'm not sure I understand the whole question, but I can tell you that
not all Cocoon apps have to reside under $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/cocoon/.
You can put map:mount entries in your Cocoon sitemap, or in a separate
mount table, to point to Cocoon apps anywhere. Nor does Cocoon itself
need to reside in $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/cocoon/; you can set the path
attribute on the Context element in your Tomcat conf/server.xml file to
point anywhere.

But I'm not sure what Cocoon apps' location on the disk has to do with
using your current servlet-based app with Cocoon. As I understand it,
you want your servlet-based app to "call" Cocoon for presentation layer
rendering. If your app can do a GET on a URL and receive the response,
then your app can call Cocoon pipelines, e.g. via
http://localhost/cocoon/myCocoonRendererApp/params. Then it doesn't
matter where Cocoon resides on disk, it only matters how Cocoon and
Tomcat are configured to process URLs.

Am I understanding your question right? If you can elaborate, I can
probably provide more details.

Lars