Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Ghaith Bannoura <gb...@etq.com> on 2017/06/14 06:28:15 UTC

Cloud Utilization

Hello All,

I have a case that I need to turn off instance in case that the instance utilization is 0%  for three days ( the instance is not used ) and destroy the instance if its stopped more than 7 days .

Is there any automated way to do like this case (like Ansible) , I believe that auto scaling while handle turn off instance , but I need another solution

Best Regards,
Ghaith Bannoura
Senior System Administrator
MCT, MCSE (Messaging, Server Infrastructure)
MCSA (Windows Server 2008, 2012), MCP

Re: Cloud Utilization

Posted by Sebastian Gomez <ti...@gmail.com>.
First of all, what means "instance utilization is 0%", just kernel
processes and maintenance tasks can increase CPU usage during this period.
No utilization means no logins?

I don't know any service/soft that do it, but you can do it yourself:

For example:
You can easily develop a script to be executed daily on each server to
detect if there is or not usage (whatever it means), and register into a
file (p.e. a counter). One the counter reaches the maximum (p.e. 3 days),
shutdown itself.
For other side, develop a script in other server to make queries on the
cloud database or cloud usage database to ask for instances which have more
than maximum days without being powered on, and call the API method to
destroy them.

Thinking about it I'm sure that people will find better ways to do it.
If you build the solution, please, consider sharing it!

Good luck.

Atentamente,
Sebastián Gómez

Re: Cloud Utilization