Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Jason Lotz <ja...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/03 14:21:03 UTC

Where do you get your hardware?

We are in the process of analyzing our options for the future purchases of
our Hadoop/HBase DN/RS servers.  Currently, we purchase Dell PowerEdge
R710's which work well for us.  However, we know that there are other
options that may give us more bang for our buck.

I'm not as interested in knowing the specs of the machines that people are
using.  Rather, I'm curious to know where you buy them from or if you are
building them yourselves.

Any feedback on how you acquire server hardware in your environment would be
greatly appreciated.

Jason

Re: Where do you get your hardware?

Posted by tsuna <ts...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Jason Lotz <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the replies.  My take away is that most organizations are buying
> from vendors (Dell, HP, SuperMicro, HP, etc.)  While "build it yourself" is
> an approach, I'm not hearing a lot of companies that are doing it.

Maybe companies that are doing it aren't willing to talk too much about it?
I also like ASA Computers "Twin Servers" (2 nodes in 1U):
http://www.asaservers.com/showpages.asp?pid=1280
Good bang for the buck.

--
Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure
Software Engineer @ www.StumbleUpon.com

Re: Where do you get your hardware?

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
We have had ixSystems build hardware for us as well.
Best regards,

   - Andy

Posted by Daniel Einspanjer <de...@mozilla.com>.

Posted by "M. C. Srivas" <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by "M. C. Srivas" <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by tsuna <ts...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Angeles <pa...@cloudera.com>.
Did you mean 2 nodes in 2U?

Posted by Jason Lotz <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Gray <jg...@facebook.com>.

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.
Most of the people building large clusters have good relationships
with dell and get a significant discount off the Dell list. This might
be because a reasonable cluster is $100k and on up.

Supermicro seems popular, they had a better choice of options about 18
months ago, but maybe dell has formed up behind them.

Just avoid the dell hard drives, they are a super-rip off.  Which btw
means you'll have to avoid dells, because the _only_ way to get the
dell disk trays which are required is to buy dell hard drives (3-4x
markup btw).

-ryan

Posted by Jack Levin <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Lotz <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Robertson <ti...@gmail.com>.
We just set up a cluster with Dells, and have a pretty fine
relationship with a local Dell supplier.

Tim

Posted by Jeremy Carroll <je...@networkedinsights.com>.
We have used the Dell Cloud Servers (C2100 to be exact). Turn around time
is a little slower, but it's worth it IMHO.

Posted by Patrick Angeles <pa...@cloudera.com>.
Jason,