Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Radu Cotescu <ra...@apache.org> on 2014/07/15 23:19:47 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache DeviceMap BrowserMap version 1.4.1

Hi,

I've prepared an official release of the Apache DeviceMap BrowserMap
module. Due to how this module was versioned before the first official
release at ASF will be 1.4.1.

Staging URL: https://people.apache.org/~radu/browsermap/

The project's keys file is available at:
https://people.apache.org/keys/group/devicemap.asc

In case you need to import the keys, after downloading the keys file, run
the following command:
gpg --import devicemap.asc

You can use this UNIX script to download the release and verify the
signatures:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/devicemap/trunk/check_staged_release.sh

Usage:
sh check_staged_release.sh [staging URL]

Please vote to approve this release:
[ ] +1 Approve the release
[ ]   0 Don't care
[ ]  -1 Don't release, because ...

This majority vote is open for at least 72 hours.

Regards,
Radu

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache DeviceMap BrowserMap version 1.4.1

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi Radu,

+1

I have one minor comment. The NOTICE file includes the following text,
which should be deleted:

Apache DeviceMap includes subcomponents with separate copyright notices and
license terms. Your use of these subcomponents is subject to the terms
and conditions of those licenses.

This does not need to block a release. However, should be fixed in trunk.

Posted by Radu Cotescu <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Radu Cotescu <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi Bertrand,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 3:16 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> The build ("grunt package") fails for me...

"sudo grunt package" works, so I guess that's really a problem with my
grunt/node environment.

-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache DeviceMap BrowserMap version 1.4.1

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Radu,

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 11:19 PM, Radu Cotescu <ra...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...Staging URL: https://people.apache.org/~radu/browsermap/ ...

I have checked the following archives according to
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#check-list

SHA1(browsermap-1.4.1-rc1-incubating-dist.tar.gz)=
ac452fefe60fbd784345325e62d3dc9a687ee1ae
SHA1(browsermap-1.4.1-rc1-incubating.tar.gz)=
ded29b1b0c7b1f78a00c06bfdf883834c6a6ba8d

IIUC browsermap-1.4.1-rc1-incubating-dist.tar.gz contains the results
of building the module from browsermap-1.4.1-rc1-incubating.tar.gz, so
I suggest considering only the latter as an Apache release, the former
being a convenience archive, and omitting the former from the upcoming
Incubator PMC vote.

Signatures and digests match.

The build ("grunt package") fails for me with

  >> An error occurs in jsdoc process:
  >> Error: Could not find or load main class
org.mozilla.javascript.tools.shell.Main

But that might just by my setup, I'm not familiar with Grunt.

DISCLAIMER, NOTICE and LICENSE look good to me - the latter mentions
dependencies which have acceptable licenses IMO.

Apache license headers look good to me.

So, +1 for releasing browsermap-1.4.1-rc1-incubating.tar.gz - I'm
ignoring the other archive as noted above. And assuming others can
build successfully, as I said I might have a broken setup.

Thanks for preparing this release!

-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache DeviceMap BrowserMap version 1.4.1

Posted by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
+1

________________________________

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
So looks like it was a bug/inability by a webmaster to do this properly?[?]

Well hopefully if we can get a Git repo after graduation works, then having
multiple repos (DeltaSpike has only one btw, including all the modules, but
Cordova or CouchDB got dozens each[?])

Regards,
Werner

Posted by Radu Cotescu <ra...@apache.org>.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
The name "trunk" for the part that's synchronized with Git was extremely
bad, don't think that was a mandatory requirement or seriously INFRA's
recommendation to do that, but let's hope these things can get untangled
soon[?]

I recall DeltaSpike has quite a few Git repos. Same for PhoneGap/Cordova
from what I've seen.

Cheers,
Werner

Posted by Radu Cotescu <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi Werner,

> [...]

>>> Usage:
>>> sh check_staged_release.sh https://people.apache.org/~radu/browsermap/
>>>
>>> An Apache Creadur Rat exclude file is provided at
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/devicemap/trunk/browsermap/trunk/rat.exclude
>>> .
>>>
>>> To check the licensing compliance you could run the following command
>>> after expanding the browsermap-1.4.1-rc1-incubating.tar.gz archive:
>>> java -jar apache-rat.jar -E browsermap-1.4.1-rc1-incubating/rat.exclude
>>> -d browsermap-1.4.1-rc1-incubating
>>>
>>> The current artifacts correspond to tag
>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/devicemap/trunk/browsermap/tags/browsermap-1.4.1-rc1/
>>> .
>>>
>>> Once the release is approved we have to:
>>> 1. bump the version to 1.4.1 in the module's package.json file
>>> 2. tag the release under

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Assuming this happens

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
Looks good. Thanks Radu!

Posted by Radu Cotescu <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 8:58 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Thanks Radu for preparing this release!

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 6:51 AM, Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unapproved licenses...
>   ./demo/js/browsermap.min.js
>   ./dist/browsermap.min.js...

Adding an Apache header to those minified js files would kill their
purpose, which is to be small ;-)

OTOH, do we really need to release them? I suppose they can be
recreated from the source code, so by analogy with java where we
release .java and users create .class files, the browsermap release
should only contain the primary source code along with the scripts
that allow users to create the minified versions? Same for the
cobertura coverage reports which are currently in the release archive
- IMO anything that can be recreated from other files shouldn't be in
an Apache release archive.

Radu, WDYT?
-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache DeviceMap BrowserMap version 1.4.1

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
Super. Thanks Reza!

I ran a RAT report on the release (http://creadur.apache.org/rat/).
Apologies for not doing it sooner (I have a new laptop/work environment)
and don't have it completely set up, yet. RAT will run some simple checks
of source license headers. It identified the following as having potential
problems:

Unapproved licenses:

  ./README.md
  ./demo/js/browsermap.min.js
  ./dist/browsermap.min.js
  ./doc/BrowserMap.html
  ./doc/BrowserMapUtil.CookieManager.html
  ./doc/BrowserMapUtil.File.html
  ./doc/BrowserMapUtil.Url.html
  ./doc/BrowserMapUtil.html
  ./doc/Cookie.html
  ./doc/index.html
  ./doc/scripts/linenumber.js
  ./doc/scripts/prettify/lang-css.js
  ./doc/scripts/prettify/prettify.js
  ./doc/styles/jsdoc-default.css
  ./doc/styles/prettify-jsdoc.css
  ./doc/styles/prettify-tomorrow.css
  ./reporting/cobertura-coverage.xml
  ./reporting/coverage/index.html
  ./reporting/coverage/prettify.css
  ./reporting/coverage/prettify.js
  ./reporting/coverage/js/index.html
  ./source/.gitignore
  ./source/README.md
  ./source/src/main/lib/matchMedia/matchMedia.js
  ./source/src/main/lib/modernizr/modernizr.custom.js
  ./source/src/test/resources/qunit/qunit-1.9.0.css
  ./source/src/test/resources/qunit/qunit-1.9.0.js

Note that some of these are not a problem (e.g. README files), but some
are. doc/* files are missing license headers. The license of the
doc/scripts/prettify/ files is missing from LICENSE file. gunit license
seems to be missing, also. If the cobertura-coverage.xml file is licensed
under https://github.com/cobertura/cobertura/blob/master/LICENSE.txt then
that's a problem, since it's GPL.

May be possible to release with some of these problems, but let's see what
can be fixed, also...

Also, NOTICE file contains Modernizr and matchMedia.js licenses. They
belong in LICENSE files.

--kevan

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 3:06 PM, Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Assuming all committers, not just Mentors or board members shall vote
> +1

All votes are welcome and should be encouraged. Release votes require a
minimum of 3 +1 votes from the PMC. Podling release votes are slightly
different in that 3 Incubator PMC votes are needed. However, that's a minor
detail.

--kevan

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache DeviceMap BrowserMap version 1.4.1

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "eberhard speer jr." <se...@ducis.net>.