Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by "Eli Stevens (Gmail)" <wi...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/11 00:23:44 UTC

2.0 Upgrade story for 1.6 DBs

Hey all,

I haven't seen any discussion of this topic for a while now. I had
asked about it on IRC a while back, and didn't get an indication of
any firm plans.

What's the story for upgrading 1.6 DBs to 2.0?

We have a bunch of customer systems that are behind their corp
firewalls that we're going to need to upgrade headlessly via
unattended script, and it would be nice to know what it's going to
take to get those moved over to 2.0. I'm nervous about
localhost-to-localhost replication, because getting the port
conflicts, replication hiccups, disk space exhaustion issues, etc. all
sorted out and working cleanly seems daunting.

Thanks for any info,
Eli

Re: 2.0 Upgrade story for 1.6 DBs

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
> On 11 Feb 2015, at 00:23, Eli Stevens (Gmail) <wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey all,
>
> I haven't seen any discussion of this topic for a while now. I had
> asked about it on IRC a while back, and didn't get an indication of
> any firm plans.
>
> What's the story for upgrading 1.6 DBs to 2.0?
>
> We have a bunch of customer systems that are behind their corp
> firewalls that we're going to need to upgrade headlessly via
> unattended script, and it would be nice to know what it's going to
> take to get those moved over to 2.0. I'm nervous about
> localhost-to-localhost replication, because getting the port
> conflicts, replication hiccups, disk space exhaustion issues, etc. all
> sorted out and working cleanly seems daunting.

We don’t have a good story for this yet. The database file format didn’t
change between 1.x and 2.0, so in-place upgrades could be possible.

There is some work planned to make local-node databases available in
a cluster (even if it is just a cluster of 1) to Fauxton (cc Robert K),
that should then also be available via the HTTP API.

Best
Jan