Posted to general@gump.apache.org by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com> on 2004/01/15 15:48:04 UTC

Re: Plant Apache is now online

> To add your blog to Planet Apache:
>
> checkout the cvs module planet.
>
> Edit the file config.ini and follow the format of the file.

Ted (et al)

I just added this entry for the output of Python Gump:

[http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/index.rss]
name = Jakarta Gump
face = http://gui.apache.org/images/apache_feather_bullet.gif

I chose the least verbose RSS feed (not the Atom one) and I hope the traffic
from Gump is deemed appropriate, and not overwhelming. I'm game to pull this
if things turn ugly. [Gump needs to send nags (e-mails or otherwise) to keep
the community's minds on integration & interface changes, and it hasn't been
able to since September last year. This might be a a powerful alternative.]

The logic behind a post on this channel from Gump is that when a project
changes state (a first time integration, a change from failed to success, or
pre-requisite failed to failed) a simple posting is made once only. Only
first time changes in state are recorded, so hopefully we ought only get a
very few postings per day. [That said, Ant could (in theory) break and cause
a whole flurry of posts.]

Leo, I hope this will reduce bandwidth utilization on your machine ('cos
folks won't poll your feed directly), but it might lead to more (as folks
follow through stories to get details.) I'll move this to gump.apache.com
(or whatever it is called) as soon as it available. Please let me know if
this is a problem.

regards,

Adam

Re: Plant Apache is now online

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> Leo, I hope this will reduce bandwidth utilization on your machine ('cos
> folks won't poll your feed directly), but it might lead to more (as folks
> follow through stories to get details.) I'll move this to gump.apache.com
> (or whatever it is called) as soon as it available. Please let me know if
> this is a problem.

bandwidth problem? Nah....

Apparently, the machine has so far handled about a gig of http traffic
in january (all of december was 600mb). I think the campus usage policy
allows 10GB per week of outside-of-campus traffic. If it becomes an
issue, I'm sure that the network admins will cut me some slack. Given
the half a dozen tomcat instances and several dozen httpd instances that
run here at the university, I'll just go and thumb on some heads with a
big club if they don't :D
--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

Re: Gump RSS: (was Re: Plant Apache is now online)

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> FeedValidator said it was ok, and it looked ok inside my feed reader(s)
> [which are HTML pages themselves, so probably not as susceptible], so I
> never looked inside the content tag by tag (sorry):

That should've been "aren't", hopefully that was abvious from the context.

Ok, I've found the <table> I left open, and have done some other HTML
cleanup/prettiness. I'll test it today.

Still, I've pulled 'Jakarta Gump' from Planet Apache until I've resolved
this & the escaped HTML inside Gump's RSS is clean.

regards,

Adam

Gump RSS: (was Re: Plant Apache is now online)

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> I've no problem with this, but it looks like some of you tags are
> hosing the rest of the blog.

FeedValidator said it was ok, and it looked ok inside my feed reader(s)
[which are HTML pages themselves, so probably not as susceptible], so I
never looked inside the content tag by tag (sorry):

http://www.feedvalidator.org/check?url=http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/index.rss

I guess validation can only go so deep. :(

Ought we make this another example of why we ought chase the holy grail? ;-)

regards

Adam

Re: Plant Apache is now online

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
On Jan 15, 2004, at 6:48 AM, Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
=
> Ted (et al)
>
> I just added this entry for the output of Python Gump:
>
> [http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/index.rss]
> name = Jakarta Gump
> face = http://gui.apache.org/images/apache_feather_bullet.gif

I've no problem with this, but it looks like some of you tags are
hosing the rest of the blog.

> I chose the least verbose RSS feed (not the Atom one) and I hope the
> traffic
> from Gump is deemed appropriate, and not overwhelming. I'm game to
> pull this
> if things turn ugly. [Gump needs to send nags (e-mails or otherwise)
> to keep
> the community's minds on integration & interface changes, and it
> hasn't been
> able to since September last year. This might be a a powerful
> alternative.]
>
> The logic behind a post on this channel from Gump is that when a
> project
> changes state (a first time integration, a change from failed to
> success, or
> pre-requisite failed to failed) a simple posting is made once only.
> Only
> first time changes in state are recorded, so hopefully we ought only
> get a
> very few postings per day. [That said, Ant could (in theory) break and
> cause
> a whole flurry of posts.]
>
> Leo, I hope this will reduce bandwidth utilization on your machine
> ('cos
> folks won't poll your feed directly), but it might lead to more (as
> folks
> follow through stories to get details.) I'll move this to
> gump.apache.com
> (or whatever it is called) as soon as it available. Please let me know
> if
> this is a problem.
>
> regards,
>
> Adam

----
Ted Leung                          Blog: http://www.sauria.com/blog
PGP Fingerprint: 1003 7870 251F FA71 A59A  CEE3 BEBA 2B87 F5FC 4B42